1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anybody mow HUD properties?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corey4671, Jul 9, 2008.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

we have a realtor in our area that apparantly deals exclusively in HUD foreclosures. I saw an ad in the paper about them needing mowing services and called over the weekend only to get the voicemail. I left a message and totally forgot about it until they called me back today. I was told there are upwards of 50-60 homes that would need mowing every two weeks, which around here these days with the dry conditions would be a walk in the park. Also would have to do a walk around inspection each time as well and sign off on a sheet and report vandalism or any other screwy activity going on. Have any of you ever had any experience with this sort of deal? Pros? Cons? I know SOMEBODY ifnot EVERYBODY will have an opinion.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I mow bank owned foreclosures.. I make good money doing it as well...mainly all mow and blow. The irrigation is almost always turned off, so sometimes a mow isn't even needed, just trim the weeds around the house down real quick, and off to the next house. I can do 25 in a day no sweat! And with your rig, you should knock em right out, if it's anything like colorado.

The downside is that most want a lot of pics taken. I have to do pics of the address, before, during, and after shots, all with time and date stamp imprinted. They don't pay unless the time and date are stamped on the pics. But I've gotten so go at the pics that I can take the during pics while I mowing.

I send them all over the internet, and get paid every two weeks. Every week I'll either get a couple of new ones to add, and maybe one or so to drop. They are all bi-weekly mows.
  3. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

We do some for a larger property preservation firm. They pay pretty good. We have to take before and after pics. They email me a list every week and I fit them in when I have time. Once done I email pictures and an invoice and my check arrives 2 days later like clockwork.

Sometimes on the initial cut the secure and clean guys have not gotten there yet and there is a lot of junk in the yard. They told us just mow what you can and next time you return the guys will have already been there and cleaned the yard up. :usflag:
  4. caterpillarcat

caterpillarcat LawnSite Member

that part about having to take the pics is a nag. why do you have to take pics both before during and after. wouldnt after be good enough? or before and after? how do you take one during. are you supposed to take a picture of yourself while you're driving the mower? lol
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I'm supposed to take an "action" shot. They want this just so they know for sure that your equipment was on the site, because sometimes there is no growth, but the banks still want it done so they won't get fined from the city for any overgrown weeds. What I do is just take a pic of either the mower or trimmer on the yard...that's all they want.
  6. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

any idea how you get or got hooked up with these people? with the housing market the way it is now I bet it would be worth looking into.
  7. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

The company we hooked up with found US on craigslist.
    You can try contacting the folks doing property preservation in your area.

I'm interested in how the others got hooked up with theirs as well.
  8. corey4671

I found this one after they had posted a classified ad in the paper. Just happened to read the paper that day. Looked again today and the ad was not there.
  9. corey4671

I thought it was interesting that I was told that if the property is a large lot, all that is required to be mowed is 50' in front and back and 10' either side of house. When you think about it, that ain't much to mow!! I am seriously considering it. Think about it! No customers to fuss or complain. Bank is HAPPY to get it done to not have to deals with codes violations. It's a win win seems to me!
  10. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

Hi Guys
    I just started mowing repos 2 weeks ago, have mowed 30 so far. I have to take a picture of the front of the house and a before and after picture. I email them to my contact and I bill once a month. Its just a quick mow n blow with very little trimming if any at all. I did 10 the other day and it took me 4 hours with some drive time by myself. I may even do some trash outs for them since I have a dump box in the truck. Try a company called safeco they do a ton of repos all over the country.

Regards Mike