Anybody mow with allergies?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Remsen1, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Long ago I was diagnosed a severly alleric to many, many things grasses, weeds and pollens in particular. I love to mow and will never give it up, but sometimes the allergies get the best of me and I have to just quit.

Does anybody else suffer as I do? Non stop sneezing, non stop running nose, itchy eyes, itchy throat, shortness of breath (most extreme cases only).

I have found some things to be effective sometimes:
    1. Take my allergy medication before leaving the house.
    2. Wearing a painters mask or wet handkercheif
    3. Wearing shop goggles
    4. Carrying 3-4 handkercheifs to blow my nose (repeatedly)
    5. 2-4 especially when weed trimming or working in tall grass/weeds.

Any meds found to be effective? I have tried several and they don't always work. They are especially ineffective if not taken before symptoms occur.

2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

When the Oaks start dropping here,thats when I get hit bad. Late Oct. till the trees are clear. Out mulching up leaves is not too bad. When I get home,thats when it hits me.
    Benadryl is the only thing that works. For me anyway.
    If I take medication before I leave,I'm totally worthless.
    Some years it's not too bad.

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I have allergies as well.

I've been taking an Allegra-D, 12 hour pill at roughly 7 AM and 7 PM every single day since early May, if not late April, whether I need it or not. Doing that has been phenomenal for my results.

I used to take a pill 1 hour before cutting the grass. It would minimize my allergies, but the pollen would have such a jump start on me, taking the 1 pill wouldn't help. Or I'd take a pill only after my nose starting acting up, which is way too late.

Now taking 1 every 12 hours, continously has made my allergies almost invisible.

I did run out of pills a couple of weeks ago and figured no big deal, I didn't need it. WRONG.. As soon as I stopped and about 6 hours into needing that pill, my nose was bad, and getting worse. I actually borrowed some Allegra-D from my sister in law just until I could get my own prescription refilled.. (same pill, strength, etc etc, so no worry about taking someone else's med's)

Keep taking them constantly, especially the anti-histamine, all the time if you can. Allegra D works for me great.

If you take a decongestant after the symptoms, all you'll have is a runny nose for 6 hours.

And if you take an antihistamine that doesn't work well for you, you'll be the laziest bum on the earth cause the wrong ones for you can make you soooooo tired, it's not funny. <G> Benadryl comes to mind...

Gary

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thank god no. if i was id do something else. only thing gets me is a steady diet of pine tree dust.,on tree take dns.
    not even allergic to poison ivy anymore..
    a fact that some clients try to take advantage of. aint gonna work . exstra money for that stuff.

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I did have bad allergies, but the more I work in the biz the better they get. I did get shots but it is the same thing as working around all the dust, grass, pollen, tree's etc...

If you are really bad I would consider allergy shots from the doctor. That way you build up your system to everything and you will survive much better!

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Claritin .... Allegra if they fail, try an inhaled steroid such as Flonase

7. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

I HAD THEM REALLY BAD BUT THEY SEEMED TO CLEAR UP AFTER MOWING FOR A FEW YEARS. STILL HAVE AN OCCASIONAL SPELL BUT NOT VERY OFTEN

8. hlgmoney

hlgmoney LawnSite Member

I have very severe alergies to practicly everything outdoors ( and indoors too). I've been taking shots for about a year and a half and claritin for about three years. I mow about 15 hours a week and it seems to bother me less every day. The test for the shots is expensive but it's covered by most insurance and well worth it if you're going to stay in this business.

9. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i have allergies too, but i startedanyway cause the money was good. i have noticed that they have fallen off after awhile. they're not as bad as they used to be. every once in awhile i do take a sudafed or chlortrimeton.

10. 111easy

111easy LawnSite Member

I also have allergies and found claritin helpful.

You may also have some food allergies yet unnoticed.
    I use a "rotation diet" --- rotate your food selection on a 4 or 7 day rotation schedule. Example, eat beef once every 4 days, chicken, pork, different types of fish can be selected daily ex. salmon, bass, tuna (yuck), shrimp etc. ----- in time (2 - 6 wks)
    sensitivity to all allergens will subside. I seems that each allergy you suffer from affect each other. Trust me it actually works.

Also some foods can be seasonally concommitant (sp?) with certain allergins. For example when Rag Weed blooms I have trouble eating chicken. Seems to make the rag weed worse for me. Sounds crazy I know. But I have seen many doctors about my allergies and this is their take.