Anybody notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jan 3, 2006.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, I was getting rid of my blades yesterday, and I noticed that for my 48" mower (used to have I should say), that the gators were about 1/4" shorter, than the high lifts, even though they are listed as 18 1/2", they only measure out to be 18 1/4". Can somebody please help me out here and explain to me what I am missing???

2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Troy,
    Kinda on the same note, I have 48" decks on an Exmark and Scag and the blades do not interchange. The Exmark blades are a little smaller. I accidently put a Scag blade on the Exmark and it stopped against the deck. Apparently I'm missing the same thing. Matt

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

This is why the blade sections in the catalogs run for pages and pages!

The blade length is measured diagonally, not simply along the side. See the comment at the top of one page from J Thomas. The same comment is at the top of each page that covers blade products.

http://www.j-thomas.com/Catalog/191.htm

4. tiedeman

from earth

Right, but why is the length different for two different TYPES of blades, when they are meant and listed in J-Thomas for a particular model?

5. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I don't order a whole lot from catalogs but thanks for the info. Matt

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I am only guessing here, but a plausible explanation runs like this. Manufacturers supply OEM blades that are made specifically for various models of their own manufacture. However, aftermarket suppliers may tend to make more "generic" blades, ones that may be a bit shorter, but will still work for multiple manufacturer's mowers.

Threads get posted from time to time about a mower leaving strips of grass between blades, especially when using aftermarket blades. Perhaps in many of those cases, the blades might be a tad shorter (still will work within the baffled housings of the mower deck), and will not quite reach all the grass. But, the operator has ordered blades from an aftermarket supplier for their particular model of mower, thinking they are exactly the same length as the OEM blade. Obviously, shorter blades will not interfere with baffles and rotate fine, but longer ones would not work at all. Just because the shorter blade will rotate does not mean the quality of cut will be appropriate.

7. tiedeman

from earth

thanks for the info Roger