Anybody offer any discounts?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Aug 28, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I never openly advertise a discount for anything. I do occasionally give one for a few reasons - good customer that keeps on using us for everything, older senior citizens, military (not always, but usually if it is the lower guys, not the high ranking guys), major hardship, etc. Not done a on a regular basis, and I let my tech use judgment on this as well.

But for the new customer list that I just received, I am going to send out a letter of introduction, following up on the letter that their landscaper sent out. I have thought about offering a rain sensor discount to these customers to drum up a little business before blow outs. Letting them know it is normally $175-$200, and it is now $25 dollars off through September, plus some of them can get a $50 rebate from Colo Springs Utilities.

anybody do something similar, and how well has it worked?

2. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've ran a wireless rain sensor discount a couple times with little success. We must have too much water.

I've had good success with $5 off coupons. That's what I did when I bought a 100 count customer list. $5 first winterization. It worked well.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Tony had a good idea. $60 if they send a check/credit card payment ahead of time, which confirms their winterization, or $65 at time of service.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Any letter like this, you need to include how much they will save over a period of time and how long it will take to pay off the investment before they start seeing returns. Never hurts to put a plug in there for conserving water as well.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Advertising discounts generally rub me the wrong way. So many people expect discounts now simply because they've been used over and over again by so many companies. I get asked repetitively by seniors if I offer senior discounts, but once I say that I don't then they aren't interested, even though I may be charging much less for my service than Snicker Joe's Discount Irrigation Service.

I ran a grocery business for years, and regularly I'd see items marked "Now 33% more!" or "New Economical Size", but after calculating the price per ounce or pound almost always was the consumer getting hoodwinked. As an example, the next time you buy ice cream, check out the half gallon sizes. Some look like half gallon containers, but aren't. Can you guess are the containers getting larger or smaller?

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That is why you increase your estimate by 33%, then give a 33% senior discount. :)

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

But we really don't give estimates. It's all time and materials

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Increase your labor by 33% and give a 33% senior discount. :dancing:

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

So just automatically change my labor from $60 up to $80, and expect to not lose customers? can't do it. Rarely do I get asked for a discount, but if they ask, I don't necessarily give a % discount. I may just take off $10-$20 depending on the amount.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Why even bother? :waving: