Anybody planting in this heat?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by General Grounds, Aug 14, 2005.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: hey just curiuos i have a few customers a little miffed that we will not do any planting until labor day until the heat and dryness subsides. i tell them if they want me to do it than there will be no warranty, then they seem to back off a bit, i dont know some people just dont get it. Tony

2. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I would rather not but sometimes you have to. As long as there is irrigation you should be fine.-I just did 3 jobs, new homes. Haven't lost any plants or sod..YET. We guarantee plants and sod with sprinklers installation. It has been a hot one here in Jersey!!
    Harry

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Same here Tony. Even afraid to do any pruning right about now as well.

4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Hey RF, yeah i was thinkin the same thing, the pompoms and spirals turn a little brown, esp, when a customer says "cut it back as far as you can" and you try to explain the consequences but they dont get it. tony

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Without any major rain real soon tony I am gonna tell them I am gonna wait and do next April...period

6. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys, thats the way I try to do things?......I guess thats why our customers pay us so well :cool2: payup payup payup :angel:

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The planting window for me closed in July,I went against my better judgement and planted a front area just off an asphault street and the house is white.Heat absorption form the asphault,reflection off the house and 103 temps were frying the plants I had to put a canopy over them to save them.
    They recovered ..but I gave the client an "I told you so!"anyway and I won't continue the rest of the planting or any planting unless it's in 1/2 shade or full shade tell end of Sept as per usual.Heck if I am gonna eat it because they won't listen to me.
    But most understand and agree and I can do other work on the jobs untell planting window opens again.I know I probably spelled asphault wrong probably by my spell check wont work on here anymore.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I guess now would be bad time to gloat about Western washington and its one year long seasion.

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We just installed 65 perennials at a client's home today. Very well irrigated irrigated property, big $ residential. Other than that, I will not be doing any planting, seeding or sodding til after Labor Day.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we plant 12 months per year here.

although we will not do a job without irrigation.

if they do not have irrigation, we either install with the job or we pass on the job.