Anybody run a Ford 4.6

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dishboy, Jan 18, 2004.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Looking for a van to haul my kids, dog and boat[18 foot fiberglass] to the lake. Was wondering if any of you guys run the 4.6 Ford in a truck and haul equiptment also. Does it have enough power and are you happy with it. Also is the tranny they put behind it [auto 4 od] up to the job also . Thanks for your opinion. Tom

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I started using my 4.6 v8 F150. You don't want a huge trailer, but its easily handled a 14' and 18' trailers with w/b and Z. As far as transmission, IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NOT TO PULL WITH THE OVERDRIVE BEING USED. TURN IT OFF. I found this out from $2k worth of new transmission.

3. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

I run a '97 F150 4x4 with a 4.6. I pull about 4000 lbs on a regular basis without any real issue. I pull with od ingaged as long as it does not shift alot and will lock up the torque converter right away. I also prefer the fuel economy when not pulling compared to the larger v8's as I dont pull every day, just a couple of times a week.

Joel

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Thanks for the info, we found a 02 E-150 conversion with the 5.4 and everything we could imagine on it including a tv, only 18,000 miles for $17.500.00

5. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

I had a 4.6 in a Ford F150. It pulled OK and seemed to get the job done. I pull a trailer that will go about 8000 LB with my tractor on it. My current truck has the 5.4. There is a huge differance in the towing capacity. The 5.4 is a much better choice all the way around. The milage on my current F150 is about the same the 4.6.