anybody run or have info on spapper pro hydro walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott in the soo, Oct 29, 2005.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

unfortunately in my area i am limited to one commercial dealer.. i have a choice between snapper, ariens and simplicity and husky,,anyway, the one that has been catching my eye is the snapper pro hydro foating deck with the kawi engine 36 inch.. please, any info would be great. samples of cuts would be greatly appreciated.. thanx.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have two 36" WB Snapper hydro units with adjustable decks. We are pleased with the units, but they are about 4 -5 years old. If you are looking at the crank adjustable deck it is a little tricky to get level. And the hydro latching device wears and can come unlatched. But we got a lot of usage on those units. No hydr problems and no spindle problems in heavy usage.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly what Ed said. Very bulletproof, undrerrated machines. We have a 2004 48" for $2500.00 with less than 210 hours on it. Full floating deck and 14 Kawi engine. Snapper doesn't get the credit they are due. They had 7ga. decks long before that was the norm, and we never had a spindle failure on five different machines(48WB's, 36WB belt, and 23/52 Z)

4. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I have a 52", Hydro W/B with a 23 HP Kohler. Just like the others are saying I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. They are very well built and mine has been trouble free for the last 4 years.

Mine has the floating beck with two crank handles for adjusting. I haven't had any problems getting the deck level.

I'm not sure if the 23/52 is made anymore (maybe someone else knows) but like any mower, get the most power you can.

Bottom line, don't be afraid of Snapper. Yeah, they aren't as popular as some of the others but their Pro Hydro units are heavy duty commercial mowers.

Joel B.

5. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have no experience with them. Have dealer close, so this thread got me thinking. I went to snapper pro website, and WOW, the pro hydro looks like a great machine. I am in the market for a 36/48 hydro walkbehind and as briefly as I ahve just looked at them, I like everything about them. All this considered of course haven't even seen them in person, would like to hear more about these as well.

Looks like a great product!:cool2:

6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had two. They are basically good machines, but there's one thing I don't like about 'em: There is no feel for neutral in the loop steering. (You cannot tell where it is just by using the controls.) But that may not be a problem for you, you have to demo it.

If you get one and run it on basically flat terrain do this: Adjust the spring retaining bolts (for the hydro hand controls) by 1/2" to make the spring feel lighter. It makes the controls VERY light. The only time you need full tension is on very hilly properties.

I actually wish I had not sold my 48" Pro Hydro...... You can't get em with electric start anymore.

7. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

8. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

thank-you for the replies so far,, just a couple more questions for the guys who have run them..

can you get all the accessories for this mower? ie striping kit, mulch kit, bagger.

naturescape,, how does it compare to your exmark wb? and why did you get rid of your snapper?

Hesslawns, i checked out your site, awesome.. how do the snappers stack up against the scag??

thanx guys.....

9. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

no one has really said anything about the cut. How are the cuts on the pro hydros?

Are the just ok, better than average, worse than average?

thanks,
    Drew

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Overall the Scag is a better unit....much safer from standpoint of being sure you are in neutral and it is built heavier. But, the Snapper units are still running great. I would guess the Scag cost more our unit is 5 years old. You can get a mulch plate for Snapper, don't know about stripping.