1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anybody running any 1500 as work trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Wrobel#1, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

:cry:I want to save my money on gas these year and looking into getting a 1500 or a f-150. I already got a small trailer just need a pick-up now. Does anyone run any quater ton trucks. If so how are you doing on mpg's. My F-450 gets around 8-12 miles a gallon at $4.00 a gallon I will be hurting.
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I honestly get better mpg in my 6.0 v8 then I did in my v6 chevy.... you will still be using the same amount of gas with the smaller truck, probably getting 8-12 while towing...jmo..
  3. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Liar lol . . . had too lol

Remember guys night, a little drunk, show some sympathy
  4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

hey bud stop making excuses for your inappropriate forum conduct! haha.
  5. WE MOW IT

WE MOW IT LawnSite Member

I Run A 08 Gmc 1500 With A 5.3 V-8. It Tows My Trailer Just Fine, Plus I Plow Snow With It. It Gets Around 20mpg.
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

GM seems to be the way to go if you want good mpg's out of a 4x4. I wouldn't hesitate to use new (under warranty) 1500's with the 4.8l to tow open trailers under 7000 lb's.
    Our rigs are a little too heavy but it would be great to buy new trucks for under $20,000 (I think you can get down to the $15,000 range) and not have to pay for repairs.
  7. jstonemo

jstonemo LawnSite Member

I use my '99 Silverado with the 5.3L and it gets about 12 mpg when towing my trailer. It is a 4x4, so the mileage is a bit lower than a 2wd. The newer GM fullsize trucks get better mileage.

I just got over 300 miles on a tank, and I did a happy dance. I don't run the tank dry, just to the point where it will take 22-23 gallons to fill it up.
  8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a 1500 with a V6, works great. never met anything i couldn't tow. that being said i'm moving up to a new 2500HD, as i'm tired of my truck running out of engine with a load.
  9. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We have one, good on gas(4.3), gets used a lot. Also have a f-350, & chevy dump truck, though.
  10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

If your plowing its not worth the few mpgs with a half ton, just get a 3/4, if not plowing half ton for sure! whoever said they get 20 wuth a 5.3 V8 is full of it.