Anybody seeing Pythium?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Tscape, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

2 condo complexs and a residential lawn of mine manifested Pythium Blight over the weekend. Anyone else seeing it? The resi got a shot of Mancozeb and I am still shopping products for the condos. Those condo boards have trouble making swift decisions to spend a lot of money on a fungicide application.

2. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

I had a customer of mine call me today to tell me he watered his lawn late last night to wake up to pithium today. I Hydro Seeded his lawn 3 weeks ago so it was probably a combination of pithium and dampening off.

I hear Subdue works really well for that, I have not personally used it but I called my local seed store that carries it and it comes in granular form and it covers 16,000 sq. ft. at curative rate and runs around $ 104.00. As long as the temps and humidity are high the conditions are right. Good Luck!

3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Turfscape, are these newly seeded or ryegrass? Did the damage seem to occur overnight?

4. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

What's dampening off?

5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

A disease that hits new seedlings that haven't harden off yet. Usually brought on by high amounts of moisture , the grass never getting dryed out.

6. Tscape

It is Pythium, no question. I am well versed in it. It is appearing in perrenial rye/kbg mix turf that has been established for some time. Yes, as pythium does, it appeared overnight. Our forcast calls for 70* nights with +70 dew points, so the condo boards are doing what they do and kicking around my proposal. I have informed them of the urgency of the situation, but it may seem to them to be salesmanship. I am planning a curative app of Mancozeb when they pull the trigger. I have used Subdue before. No chance they will splurge and pay for a premium chemical like that.

7. Tscape

Funny thing too, I believe there is some summer patch in there as well.

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, good pythium control is pricey. Good luck.....

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Hazy hot and humid equals pythium. No doubt. Banol works best, or Terozol. Verrrrrry expensive though.

10. Agri-AFC

Agri-AFC LawnSite Member

Well you have several options for Pythium control......Banol, Subdue Maxx, Terrazole, Fore T/O, Junction, Insignia, Heritage, Compass, and Alliete.