1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody thinking about doing anything differently for 2013?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by H & M Yard Improvements, Dec 15, 2012.

1. thompsonslawncare

thompsonslawncare LawnSite Member

I just picked up 43 properties to start in spring. I am also going to do the every door direct mailing instead of the usual door to door talking with people.
  2. CMassey

CMassey LawnSite Member

We are purchasing some new equipment to help out efficiency. Also going after larger properties ( more acres instead of more properties). I also plan to hire at least one person to train this year so they can run solo next year.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

purchased a new mower for efficency, increase marketing substancily(sp) to make up for increased effiency, also make sure we only add to existing routes, cutting out unprofitable routes. more and better systems in place.
  4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a big decision. Whether to make one or both of my part time helpers fulltime. If my marketing continues to produce leads I wont have a choice. In the next few years I will have to add a second crew which means another truck, trailer, ztr, walkbehind, handhelds, etc. etc. I keep running the numbers and it looks good on paper but its always scary!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'll be adding some new equipment to improve efficiency. I put it off last year. Improving my websites. Door hangers will go out in late February instead of mid March.
  6. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

I am going to be changing the way I do my billing along with no more "call when you need me". The "Call when you need me" they let it go a month at a time and then its just a jungle. Oh and they still want it done for $40

Also thinking of picking up an Exmark so I have a nice new mower and I won't be having to bag nearly as much as I am now.
  7. H & M Yard Improvements

H & M Yard Improvements LawnSite Member

I never take on the "Ill call you when I need you garbage!" Never make any money off of them and they are usually cheap and are slow payers! Not worth it! Good call on eliminating those customers!

I'm also going to try and tighten up my route and possibly start weeding out my bi-weekly accounts and go to weekly only. Seems as if there's really no money involved in bi weekly customers.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Have you considered raising rates before doing this....?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

My rates are already on the high end. I close about 50-60% of my bids and turn down some work. My goal in 10 years is to be out of the field and just running the business side of things. Its just the first step thats always the hardest.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Testing for my Certified Applicator Cert. on Thursday. Add a new mower. Revamp website. Buying everything I need for fert and squirt. Hire a full time guy. Added a new F250 last month to pull everything. Much more advertising to add 30 new accounts.