anybody tow with a dakota v8?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by haybaler, Nov 8, 2007.

1. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

with the crazy price of diesel I'm looking at a 2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8. It would mostly be personal truck/ looking at jobs, but it would be nice if I needed it in a pinch to pull the mowers around. it has a tow hitch and I would add a brake controller.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Aint gonna be any cheaper to run than a diesel.

3. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

that v8 will get no more than 12 mpg dodges suck down that gas

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

actually we pulled quite a few times with my brothers 2002 dakota v8 and it did great, no matter what we put behind it. We used to tow our trailor with 2 z-mowers on it and it did just fine.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i know a guy who pulled a firebird 3100 miles accross the country and then back with a dodge dakota V8, and he had no complaints. he said it pulled as good as a full size.

7. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

thanks for the replies. I know the mpg isn't great, but I still think it will cost less to run overall.

8. Tim03

Tim03 LawnSite Member

Dakota owners, how does your truck hold up reliability wise?

There is a slight chance that I will have to give up my current truck and rely on the Dakota as both work truck and main transportation. I would be looking at getting a new truck.

9. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

never towed with one...but did see one townin an camaro on the tp and was keepin up with trafic for the most part

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Again, i don't think it's a matter of power. More an issue of stopping power. I wouldn't pull too long of trailer because of the size of the truck.