Anybody tried any of the ROOTS products?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Like the title says.
    Have any of you all tried the Roots products?
    I'm interested in the liquids mainly as an additive to enhance color & health in some "tough" lawns and on a few of those PITA customers who always want more.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Are you referring to the Lesco product line? If so, it is not on the shelf in TN.
  3. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

we are using the granular turf ferts right now. i have found another supplier for our next rounds though. its a nice product but big bucks. the granular ferts anyway.
  4. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I think lesco did carry some of the stuff.
    Its made by a company called Novozymes.
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We have been using the granular products and it has worked well here out west it is pricey though. We get ours from Wilbur Ellis.
  6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes They make Great Products.

They are pricy though, I agree.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I have used them. They are not part of my routine application. This is the type of product I apply after a lawn has been verticut. Otherwise the customer will be looking at scalped grass for months. I also use this on the rare landscape that is on sand. Roots is just one of the many liquid organic based supplements normally seen on golf greens. However, they are a good tool for my all liquid lawn and landscape health management programs. The liquids do cost less per M than the granules and you are not locked into the analysis and nutrient sources of the granules.
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I inoculate young lawns with EndoRoots @ $25/M. Great money maker and really impressive results over the first couple of years. Drought resistance FAR outstrips a lawn without while it's developing...
  9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

endo mycorrhizae are the bomb in turf, once they get colonized they increase root mass, some papers say 400%, ecto mycorrhizae are beneficial to woody's and trees.

These are symbiotic relationships, the fungi cannot live without a root to colonize, the plant secretes sugars and carbs to the fungi, the fungi in turn mines nutrients in the soil and feed them to the plant through the root

Interestingly these fungi do not like soils with medium to high levels of phosphorous. They attach to the root but basically are on welfare, just getting a check each week but not doing much work. In low phophorous soils they grow like gangbusters and feed the plant all kinds of nutrients. They stick around for the life of the plant and enhance health and vigor.

This is one of the variables in soils with inoculants that has to be considered. And often the cause of one company seeing excellent results and another seeing nothing

If you can get these beneficials down when seeding you will see great long term results with better germination and long term health.

Our products have endo and ecto mycorrhizae in them and are sprayed as an inoculum as well as another set of trichoderma fungi that fight fungal disease typical in turf
  10. Bcb27101

Bcb27101 LawnSite Member

Roots has some great products. Roots Fe-8 is a non staining iron sourse with low use rates, 1-2 oz per 1000 sq ft.. Roots Agriplex is a non staining full micro package with low rates 1-2 oz per 1000 sq. ft.. Roots 123 is my favorite, it contains Agriplex, Roots(vitamins), wetting agent and benefial microbes.