Anybody try to make friends?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cos, Mar 16, 2003.

1. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

With dogs that is. LOL I am going to start to take dog biscuits with me, like the mailmen. I will make friends with the dogs that I encounter while cutting. I can't stand a yapping dog and a little treat will shut them up quick.

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Personally, my take on dogs is; they either like me, or they don't. If they like me, then I leave it at that and am nice to them. If they don't... I stay as far away as possible. No point trying to make friendly with 100+ lb killers. :dizzy:

3. I don't have any dogs on the lawns while I work but neighbor dogs can be a problem.
    Had a new account last year and the dog next door would go nuts while I was there. Barking and snarling every time I went by with a piece of equipment. After a few months he settled down, he would just lay there and bark as I went by. Eventually he would just watch. One day his owner came out while I was mowing so he jumped up snarling and barking right at the fence line, just like the first day. But you know-I think I saw that dog wink at me:D

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

NOPE you get friendly with them and they are all over you. I like to be in and out of houses, don't need a dog slowing me down. :cool:

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Im kinda thinking Cos meant dogs in adjoining lawns. we used to do a fert route there was one lawn that backed up to another they had a huge and I mean huge basset hound named walter. he would bark like crazy every time we would do a app. one day when doing the lawn I gave him a piece of candy. he was my best buddy after that and would wait by the fence for a treat when he would see us. and never really barked at us agian

6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Postal carriers also carry pepper spray. I don't carry it regularly, but now and then, I get it out of the truck. It keeps them away from me after a squirt or two.:D

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Next to one of my accounts is a privicy fence with a hole cut in it so the dog can stick it's head through.LOL When I go buy the dog goes nuts. I have thought about trying to make friends with it, but it looks posessed to me.LOL

8. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been keeping doggie treats on hand for 5 years. Couple years ago I was mowing an account, when I noticed some people had moved in next door along with their chow. He was on a leash, but didn't know until he came charging at me and got jerked by the chain about 5 feet from the property line. He was very upset and his hair was standing straight up!! Went back to my van and grabbed a few treats. Made another pass with the mower and tossed him the treats. In three weeks he was eating out of my hand!!

9. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Sounds like a good idea. I do a restaurant where the dog next door tries to attack the weed whacker through the fence. I have known him for 4 years now, so I guess its time to make friends. (LoLs)
    Travis

10. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I took care of a property that adjoined a junk yard. There was a 150lb rottweiler that was the "junkyard dog". I always went to this place on Sunday. When I first started got there he was possessed. Now this is an account that i would make about every 3 weeks. The dog looked like nobody cared about him at all. I started tossing him a treat everytime I went there. At first he wouldn't even go get the treat till after I left. Then after I got in my truck, later after I got to the other side of the property. After 3 years he would eat it when I threw it over the the fence but take it to where i couldn't see him. After 5 years he would eat it right away. The next year he would take it thru the fence from my hand. At the 7th year, the first time I had ever given him a treat and he let me pet him thru the fence the owner showed up for the firsttime in sevenyears and saw me pet him. I got a huge ***** chewing from the owner for messing with his guard dog. After he vented on me for a while I told the guy it took me 7 years to get to that point and that he had nothing to worry about he laughed and said ok, no big deal. Then the dog died that fall. Good old Rufus....i still miss him.