Anybody use a 60" WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, Jul 11, 2008.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I need a WB but not sure on size. I have this mentality to put the biggest mower on a yard you can get by with but I don't want to sacrifice quality. I have a TT 61" but would rather use a WB on my residential because of less weight. I have a mix of large properties and small residentials but would like to optimize the WB on the larger properties. I used to have a 36" and it was good on really small yards but was a total waste of time on large properties. It was quicker to leave it on the truck and just cut with the 72". Is there a lot of difference on the impact of a 60" WB versus a 60" ZTR on the turf? Thanks in advance for the replys.

2. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

Buy a exmark 60inch ecs hydro and you will never turn back. Some of my clients wont even let me use my 60 Z mower.

3. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

we have a whole fleet of 61 and 72" scag hydro's that we use daily for almost 95% of our residential run. Some of our main mowers are early to mid 90's units, many on thir third and 4th engines

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I didn't think they made those big decks anymore...
    But how do you keep these machines from crapping out all the time?

Because I have a '98 model proline which I replaced the engine and transmission on, figuring since a new one is $3g's I'd be as well off if I could get another 4-5-8 years out of it, all in all it's not that old a unit.
    But in the past two years it's been nothing but one thing after another keeps breaking...
    Not a full season's use out of it and the transmission is already acting up some, in the past 6 months I put all new belts on it, I also replaced several pulleys, then I replaced the brake pads on both sides, one set of spindle bearings (thou this was normal), then twice the tension bolt broke (and it's still down with this issue) and I can't get 10 yards done with it before something else breaks I swear it just seems like it never ends...

I don't think it's for lack of maintenance and it's not a total POS in my book heck it used to be my strongest running unit before this crap started and about everything except the frame is brand new now :laugh:
    But it's to the point I'm about ready to fix it up right one last time and SELL it.
    Just wondering...

5. ahah

ahah LawnSite Member
    from 5

Get a 60 and a Velke or pro slide. Get it from a dealer you trust that is close to you.

I have had good luck with Exmark despite some rantings.

6. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

to tell you the truth, I wish I would have bought a 60" WB, instead of my lazer, I'm just not much of a sit down guy, and i work by myself, so I don't take on that big of properties!

7. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Our big walkbehinds are the most profitable cost effective macines that we have owned, and believe me afteer 35 yrs we have tried everything! thes emachines respond well to good care and really cost us so little per yr it's not worth the paperwork to track it! Never has a rider that an employeee couldn't screw up in a heart beat--but these Scags just keep on running, performing very well and making us serious money every day.

8. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Thanks for the replys. I had the assumption that a 60" was way overkill for most applications and I would be better off with a smaller unit like a 48". Again, if I can get away with more, I'll do it. The 48" would have to sit on the trailer on my large properties and that's not making money.

9. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 52 Lesco and a 61 Scag and yes they do a nicer job than a Z but on bigger properties my Super will just shread those things in productivty and they are more reliable. The Super Z is one tough mower and will take way more abuse over a WB if you do not trash the Hydros!

10. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

GET A SUPER b by walker they are better than a z ( less wheel marks) and alot more productive than a walk behind.