Anybody use a Swisher Trail mower..pic included

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Apr 4, 2008.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Just bought a new house on 5 acres. I also have a few properties with some acreage. I'll be mowing, on average, about 20 acres a month. I would attatch it to my Wright Sentar to give me a 9'4" cut. The 14.5hp seems a little small though. I would probably upgrade to a 17.5hp. I did a search, but only found reviews on older models. There were 5 reviews on Northern Tool, which we all good (4 gave it 5 out of 5 stars and 1 person gave it 4 out of 5 stars). I know it not really commercial, but figuring only 20 acres a month is not too much.

Any comments?

swisher.jpg

2. walker-talker

from Midwest

Nobody ever used one of these?

3. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple of large acreage parks, and I thought getting one of those would be good to be pulled by a 60" rider. However, the top speed recommended by the manufacturer of those is 5 mph. Your Sentar is max at 11. You would have to pull it at half speed. You realistically would not save that much time.

The tire size is small, you will get alot of bounce at faster speeds. I wouldn't get one.

4. walker-talker

from Midwest

Thanks for the heads up on the manufacturer's top speed rating. I never seen anything on their website about that. On average I bet I mow 8 or 9 mph with the wright.

5. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

I bought one of their 48" trail mowers to pull behind my 4 wheeler. It's... okay, but not great. Not really built to commercial specs, the deck was rather thin. And it has a low max speed, so using it in tandem with my zt wasn't much of a savings.

That 48" trailer mower has one great advantage - with the two wheels right in line with the blade shafts, it's very difficult to ground the mower. Really follows the contours, and unless there are bumps in the ground, it doesn't scalp. The 50 and 60" mowers won't have that advantage.

As for mowing with a 4 wheeler - not really. Too hard to turn around, thumb throttle gets tiring pretty quick, hard to hold a steady speed, really sucks the gas, and the big tires can mash the grass down. That setup may be a great excuse to get a quad past the wife, but it wasn't that good of a mower.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Also don't forget to figure in the extra fuel, your now using twice as much to mow the grass.

7. arcticzl

arcticzl LawnSite Member

i bought this model last year 14.5 hp brigs.60 inch cut.I love it.plenty of power,I only stalled the motor 1 time going thru a leech field in the spring when the grass was real high and wet but once i slowed down a little i was fine i mowed about 20 acers a week also using my 4 wheeler to pull it.they claim 5mph top speed.but in the summer when all your mowing is weeds i was pulling this thing at 12 to 15mph without any problems. the only problems i had with this unit the factory but the belt guide on backwards and i lost a belt the first week mowed with it.i switched it around and the dealer sent me a new belt and its been fine. also the crank heith adjustment handels.. if you crank these up to get a nice low finish cut with like only 2 threads showing they tend to vibrate off and get mowed over.I replaced mine with half inch wing nuts. and cary a 2x4 to assist in lifting the deck to adjust the nuts if needed.or if your handy you can make your own but use the nylon lock nuts so they dont vibrate off.o yea backing these things up takes some practice.

8. arcticzl

arcticzl LawnSite Member

1 more thing. tire wear is terable on these things.(i pulled mine fast) FRONT TIRES WORE FIRST YEAR. replased with 4 ply.

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

arcticzl -- Good feedback ... I've heard some good things about these units as well !!

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

Stands to reason, you're mowing twice as much so no extra fuel is used.