Anybody use an Exmark Viking hydro? Opinions appreciated!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G. Moose, Feb 23, 2003.

1. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

Does anybody out there have a Viking hydro by exmark? I am seriously considering buying one. I'm especially interested in the 32" with 15 hp Kohler. If so, how much did you pay for it?

Advice and opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Here is a 36" Viking Hydro with a Flex-Deck - 54" total cut[​IMG]

36x-along road-bbq02-good-headoff.jpg

3. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Flex-deck
    You did a great job answering his Questions, I bet he knows all he needs to know now that he got to see a picture of a 36" viking hydro with a fake-deck on it. I want to thank you for once again posting pictures of the fake-deck even though it had nothing to do with his questions.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

P&J

chill out

At least it's a picture of a mower in action.

That's more than I've gotten from some dealers.

5. Nick

Nick Banned

HE did answer the question. Yes he has one and a picture too.:angry:

6. P&J Lawncare

Do you thank he posted that picture so that he could see what a metro looks like, if so then I have a bridge to sell you.

7. P&J Lawncare

Nick
    He didn't answer any questions and he never said that he owns one, he might but that is lawngodfather's mower that you see in the picture if Im not mistaken.

8. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Hey go easy on flex, he's just doing his job.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I went looking for the same, a 32" Viking hydro for gated areas and rolling terrain bigger decks won't cut well on. Dealer (biggest in SE) didn't have one and salesman said he coudlnt' remember ever selling a 32" hydro, most just get a belt drive for the low price since it's not often used full time.

I have to say, I just can't get used to the ECS system after using Toro "push to go" T bar for so long. The salesman could control it nice and smooth, but the extra steps of having to put it in neutral to stop and do something else and the light touch required would take some getting used to. I like that you can just let go of a Toro and not get engine kill if you stop to pick something up. It also seems closer in concept to a ZTR's handles...push forward to spin that wheel, pull to reverse it. Since I use a Lazer Z 75 percent of the time, I'm just used to that.

I demo'd the Ferris 32" single hydro today. It has NO steering at all, you have to manhandle it to steer it. Odd, but it did have a nice easy adjust deck and a good engine. But not having powered steering seems to negate half the hydro advantage. You can easily reverse with the thumb lever, but I think a good belt drive would be better for me and cost a little less. The Ferris was $2599.

I've about decided that I need one handed steering ability too much, I'm spoiled by the Toros. I can let one hand off to move a branch out of the way or something...I like that.

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned both an Exmark 36" Viking and an Exmark 48" Viking. The 36" I traded in but I still have the 48". Very good machines, both of them. I do prefer the 48" over the 36" because of the deck overhang for getting close to things. As far as cost, I bought them both very slightly used in mint cond. 1999 36" Viking $2300.00. 1998 48" Viking $3500.00. Good luck.