1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody use an extended reach chainsaw?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turfquip, Feb 22, 2007.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Boy these things are handy. I'm borrowing a Stihl HT 75 from a friend of mine and actually its hard to find much wrong with it except for the fact it is a Stihl, notorious for hard starting and being cold natured.

I do want to buy one...soon! What brands do you guys use and importantly, are you happy with it? Please tell me the pros and cons of your machines.
  2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

3. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

i have the stihl ht 75 works out great for me 2
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what the model# of mine is, but its a shihl weedeater that you attach the chainsaw/extension to. Bought it this summer, just used it to cut up a 16" pine tree that hung up about 8' off the ground over a driveway. It lets you stand back far enough to not get hurt when doing a job like this. Oh by the way it starts great, and I have had no problems with it.:hammerhead:
  5. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl pole saw (pole pruner)

It is a model HT 131.

I LOVE it. It has paid for itself several times over, especially with all the wind and ice storms we have been having here lately.

I changed mine to a 16" bar from the 12". This way my chain stays sharp about 30% longer.

One complaint, the drive shaft seems to torque and move around a bit too much inside the housing. I think this problem is limited to my unit b/c I have used other people's and they don't seem to have the same problem.
  6. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

We have sthil ones also, thats what I would go with if I was buying one, the new ones are four mix and run good.
  7. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

Stihl Here, had the power pruner/pole saw for 12 years and still works great.
  8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the Stihl Ht 101 quite a bit. It works great. Occaisionally had trouble with the oiler getting plugged up but not a big deal to clean out.
  9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have the Echo Pole Pruner, PP260...I prefer the old style over the new because the pole slides in further so the overall length is shorter...Also use the hedge clippers with it, makes it easy for tall stuff....
  10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Stihl HT 101 that works well.