1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody use closed in trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Sauls1686, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Does anybody use a truck to haul their equipment instead of a trailer?

I know some of you use closed in trailers but what about an X U-Haul van?

(just curious--i kinda like the X U Haul idea)

2. Leaping

Leaping LawnSite Member

Don't use one but have thought of that.

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I've thought about it also, but some one said something about the wheelwells inside.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an Isuzu NPR for my lawn care company. You'll find a buch of info on it, and pictures in the post titled, "Pics of my Cuttin Rig".

Vic

6. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

To eliminate the wheelwells in the cargo area, you need a "high cube van". The boxes on these trucks are mounted higher up on the frame so you have a nice flat floor without any intrusions. I have one of these trucks at my full-time job and it is very handy for loading and unloading at docks. We are unfortunately having problems with carbon monoxide getting into the cab of the truck. There is a pass-thru door between the box and the cab. The fumes are coming up through the box floor somehow, then going into the cab. I would like the owner to trade for an Isuzu NPR diesel w/ a 14 foot box. The owner has the money, but he just doesn't want to let go of it. :rolleyes:

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I've check around on prices on a Isuzu NPR, and equivalent type trucks, I'm leaning pretty heavy towards that set-up this spring.

8. Yeah Im realy liking this the more i check into it. Of course I think it would be a slight problem in the fall for cleanup.

I was thinking that maybe this would be a contributor to winter income as well? Hauling? (either as your own business or subing out to haul for stores etc)

I don't have many $$ so the best i could do would be an old (late 80s) Ford cube van.