Anybody use gravely @ home ZTR for commercial use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heyfishguy, May 29, 2006.

1. heyfishguy

heyfishguy LawnSite Member

Does Anybody use the Gravely @ home line of residential mowers for commercial use? How have you liked it so far. How have they stood up to daily use? All of my accounts are small and are mowed with the commercial honda 21" but I have been getting a few larger lawns with 36" gates to mow, and I didnt want to pass on them as this is my first real season. Though I didnt want to drop the kinda cash for a commercial unit for 2 or 3 lawns.
  2. dtrap420

dtrap420 LawnSite Member

My first year part time I used a homeownwer model 1844 and really liked it but I out grew it fast and wished I had just bought a better one to start out with. They are great mowers but they are not made to stand up to the abuse of being trailered around all day and getting used hard. I would say save your money and get a com unit next year or by a nice used one to use for a few years while you get into the swing of things.
  3. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Do a search under Deereman, and 1844. You will see that I had nothing but probs with our ZT1844. It was a nightmare for us and one that lasted a LONG two years. I DONOT recommend a Gravely homeowner mower for commercial use PERIOD.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer. The 1844 was a total piece of junk, and that whole generation of Gravely homeowner machines was nowhere close to the quality of today's Gravely homeowner models. However, I would only recommend a Gravely homeowner machine for commercial use if the following conditions apply:
    - you operate it yourself, no hired help on this machine
    - you only are mowing 4 or 5 small lawns/week with it
    We have sold 2 of the new 40" size homeowner machines to part time, commercial cutters. They like the cut, but know the limitations of the machines. They are not having any problems with them.
    I would try to find a good used commercial machine. Or, take advantage of somw of one of the really good Gravely financing plans, and buy a new, small commercial model. Gravely is offering 90 weeks, no payments right now.
  5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

buy only 100-200 series and start making real dollar. Keep spending money on homeowner models and it won't hold up, you end up paying more later plus headache repairing back and forth. Last time I wasted money on homeowners stuff are Ryobi, learned lessons....never again.
  6. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

My 1434 is on its second year with no real problems cuttin 5 lawns a week....
    So long as you baby it a little, it will serve you well and could be traded up for the heavier machine when you are ready
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You have lawns with 36" gates? Then PM-34Z is what you need. We love ours. Had it 2 years now and it cuts great and no problems. I have attached 2 pics that i took today with my camera phone of the 34Z stripes. We cut 70 lawns a week and use 1 48" ZTR and the 34Z and we are done no later than 1 each day.

Lawn stuff 001.jpg

Lawn stuff 002.jpg
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Boy that must be nice!....I miss those days
  9. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Why not go with a 36" Gravely hydro wb? (commercial unit)
    They're about $3k last I checked.
    Tougher, probably around the same price, more versatile.
    It's also a mower you can keep around for years filling all sorts of gaps.
    You can also pull a sulky with it if you want to save the legs.

Couple more thoughts...
    Sitting down on a small machine is over-rated and not as nimble as you might think - they have a narrow track, which means the tires dont have a whole lot of leverage over the chassis because the tires are close to the centerline... and you cant "man-handle" them since your sitting on it.
    They're a little dicey on hills too.

You might also want to check out eXmarks, and those little Quick36 mowers... people have been making those things pay for themselves for awhile now.

Overall... In the beginning, I'd steer clear of small ztr's, especially cheap ones.
    When your ready, get a "real" ztr in the 50+ inch range.
  10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you miss them because you do more lawns now and it takes longer? We are going to stay a father son operation and keep it small. We have found that the more you do, the more overhead you have and your profit ratio drops. We have been doing it over 20 years for ourselfs. I started when I was 13 and I am now 27 and my father is 56. Before he did it for himself he did it for 10 years for somebody else.