Anybody used a Weed Dragon?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by White Gardens, Jun 26, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I have a couple of customers that are anti-chemical, and I was wondering if anyone has used a weed dragon / propane torch, and what kind of success you've had with it.

One area I'm dealing with has some well-established burdock and wild morning glories which are heavily rooted. I didn't know if the dragon would work or not. I pull about 75% of them by hand, but of course I can't get it all.

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Heavy-rooted plantings will require multiple burnings, or you just need to pull the rest.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I am setting this client up on a two week maintenance schedule, so I'll just have to see how it works.

I can use some round-up, but one area is around a well that isn't very deep. The well is still in use and is original to the farm, and possibly is hand dug well, not your standard new wells that are 100 feet deep.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Regular vinegar works well also. Shouldn't hurt the well at all. My torch kept going out because of an internal regulator in the Bar-B-Que tank. Haven't had time to get a new tank yet, but hope to try it again b4 summer is over.

5. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

smallaxe I'm glad you said that. I have a propane torch not the weed dragon type but one for torching burn piles and stuff. I cant get a good flame with it. It's the tank isn't it?