1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anybody used mowers with Batwings????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jonspolaris, Mar 14, 2001.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

im thinking about getting a mower with "batwing" decks on it. has any one used one of these?? i thought it would be good because u can flip up the outside decks and get into narrrow areas. then in the large areas i could use the batwings down. i looks like it would be very good for production.

the one i saw i think was a Kubota with a diesel. i think toro also makes them. any comments on these would be welcome.
  2. Guest

We use two Hustler Range wings with 12' decks that fold up. They are awsome for large properties and are very efficient. We are able to cut 12 acre schools in less than an hour. The only problem with them is with new employees it is a little hard to see the side decks because they are set slightly behind you, sometimes the new guys will get hung up on fences trying to get too close to stuff. And they are not cheap either we just traded in our older unit for a 2000 left over and I think the boss paid over $30,000 for it, but all i know is that they are awsome for cutting large areas it takes no time at all. Just My two cents
  3. JOshua Gallerick

JOshua Gallerick LawnSite Member

On myJohn Deere 455 I run a 18" flex Deck. It has saved me tons trimming time and reduced my biggest overhead "labor" by two people. It works extremly well next to buildings and around trees , especially pnie trees. To give the curbs an excellent look i just let it hang over the curb and it eliminates all curb trimming. ANd works great on ditches becuase it can flex 30 degrees and still mow.
    It was invented by a dentist here in iowa. He has a patent on it add has worke with john deere extensively on it and other john deere products. He now has them on 50 dixie choppers for service masters fleet. It works really good on the dixies.
  4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a toro 455 (126" cut) for years at my former employer. I thought it was great. The deck is out front so easy to see. Comfortable like driving a caddy. And the high range gear was great on the very large properties to buzz around and keep tabs on the grunts.