Anybody using a Kubota ZD28?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brownsallseasonlandscape, Dec 10, 2005.

1. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

Looking for a new mower just wondering about a Kubota diesel. I know their motors out last most mower decks but the website said that they only go 9.4 miles an hour kind of slow for 100 acres a week. The one guy that used to own one said it was like the cadillac of all mowers.

What about 7 inches of the white stuff in Indiana. HAVING FUN YET???:cool2:

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think Grasshopper offers the better diesel powered mid-mounts personally.
    They are also powered by Kubota diesels as well, which is a PLUS.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Just about to order two ZD 25 or ZD 28 with 60" pro decks. Take one for a spin and you will buy one. Or two like me:D They are sweet.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Really??? Thought you were going with Grasshoppers?

5. Fatheroftwo

Fatheroftwo LawnSite Member

:blob3: I bought a zd28 with the 60inch deck last month. By far the best mower in the 10 years I've been cuttng. The engine will not stall or bogg down regardless. Just remember to keep it greased and it'll last. Good luck and God Bless.

6. brownsallseasonlandscape

I would like to know how fast it is compared to a exmark or scag is it going to be fast enough to keep up.

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

what mowers have you run in your 10 years. just curious, thanks.

8. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... Well, I'll tell you what, I have used my Kubota ZD 28 Pro 60 for one season, As far as speed goes, if you are NOT paying attention you can easily take out the neighbors fence and end up in their back yard. I fly on the flat straight aways and when I get to the other end I slow down gradually. Matter of fact, if I am anywhere near or close to anything like telephone guide cables or asphalt that is higher than ground level, I proceed slowly. One thing I have noticed and am very much aware of is you've got almost a ton of machine under you and could loose control easily. I have all the speed, and I do fly, and I have all the maneuverability I could need or want. And I most surely have all the power I need. In addition to mowing lawns, I have also mowed fields as well and have no complaints with the mower. Two things I have experienced in cutting fields: you can NOT go as fast as you think you should, its' just too bumpy. And the other is: sometimes the fields are so high the mower deck bends the growth down and NOT cutting it as you pass over it. In this case, you have to cut it twice in other directions. In my opinion, this is truly the Cadillac of mowers, so far from what I have seen :).

9. brownsallseasonlandscape

Thanks for letting me know about the feilds. We mow 15 acres worth of hay for a guy twice a year this will come in handy it sounds like. Do you have the jack in the front or articulating wheels for service if so how well do you like it verses a jungle jack or something similar.

10. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... Yes I do and like I said it's the Cadillac .