Anybody using Sarlo mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indy2tall, Nov 7, 2005.

1. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

I am particularly interested to see who has used the 30" 1 blade walkbehind. How was the cut? Did you have to trim less than when using a 36" walkbehind? The front wheel design seems like it would facilitate less trimming.

2. indy2tall

anybody out there used the Sarlo's?

3. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

I bought a Sarlo trimmer at the lawn and garden expo this fall.

My guys say it's alright but not balanced well. Too heavy in the power head.

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

never heard of it!

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Me neither, but a single blade wb sounds good.
    I'm tinkering on that idea right now myself.
    There are issues with having a blade that long though (30"-33")

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yea like bending and having one break is alot of coin down the drain.

7. indy2tall

Envy,
    They were at the Louisville expo inside, didn't see them outside, not that it would have mattered since none of the mowers outside in the test area had blades because of safety rules. But I think they might be good for small highly landscaped yards and fenced back yards due to: 1. the fact they weigh less than typical commercial units (no rutting in wet grass) 2. smaller front wheels enabling cutting closer to objects with less trimming. 3. Cut much faster than the 21" finish mowers many people use.
    I am trying to find one that I can demo but there are only a few places in Indiana that are listed as dealers and none had one in stock at this point of the season.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the thing I don't like about a one blade mower with a blade that large, is that in tougher grasses that are more stringy, the blade may not leave as clean a cut, because there are much less rpms.

say we are running at 3600 on the engine and we will assume that the spindle is turning at the same speed as the engine, and we have a 30" blade. so then:

30X3.14X3600= 27,060fpm, but that would not qualify for ansi, so I am assuming that they have got the fpm speed down to at least 19,000fpm at that fpm speed, with a 30" blade, I am coming up with the blade spinning at 201rpm, that can't be right, but I used 19,000fpm/pi/30" that is the right operation yes? if it is 201 rpm, that is a REALLY slow blade, and woldn't not take out gooses grass very easily.