1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody using the 18Kohler OverHeadCam?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bobby, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Thinking about buying a Grasshopper with the 18KohlerOHC. Is anybody out there using this engine? And if so, how's it doing? Thanks.
  2. I have one on a 6 year old (my newest unit)walkbehind.
    I used it on a 62" deck last season and it ran great for it has about 900 hours.

This season I am hooking one of my 16hp magnum traction units to the 62" deck and hooking the 18hp OHV to a 44" deck that came with the machine (this will be my spreader and sprayer for next season). All I can say that mower never boggs down with a 18hp on a 44" deck.

I will have two single cylinder gear drive toro walk behinds for sale next month look for details in the used equip forum.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

You have a command dont you?He is asking about the OHC Kohler,not OHV,I have seen them,but dont know of anyone with them.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I have one on a lazerz.In 96 when mine came
    out it was the same as the 20 hp only they
    had some sort of restriction on the fuel
    feed.This was so they could fill demand
    for both with one motor.Of course I made sure the
    restrictor was removed.Yours may do that also.
    Id ask someone other than the dealer you bought
    it from though.
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're thinking about buying a Grasshopper the ONLY engine to get is one of the Kubotas. They run forever. There's a company in our town that mows over 250 res lawns per week. The owner told me one time that he tries to keep each machine at least 5-6 years then sell it to one of his crew for around$1500.00 Try running a Kohler anything for 5 years without it falling apart.