1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody with a Scag....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jwhitson, Nov 13, 2007.

1. jwhitson

jwhitson LawnSite Member

Im thinking of buying a tiger cub because I need a small ZTR. Can anyone tell me if the tiger cub can hold a hill.......Thanks
  2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

has your local dealer got a demo so you could try it out 1st hand that way you know for sure . We have a Wildcat 52" it does ok but does not hold the hills as well as our Turf Tiger did .Hope this helps Good luck . twj
  3. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

We own Scag. 61" Turf Tiger and 36" walk-behind. If hills are an issue, I'd use a walk-behind.

Turf Tiger has the lowest center of gravity for Scag ZTR's.
  4. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

We have 1 Scag Tiger Cub. This machine has a high center of gravity with the dual 4 gallon fuel tanks mounted over each rear drive wheel. The cub will hold fairly well, but we do not push it on steep grades. We use our walk-behind if in doubt to be safe.
    Scags Turf Tigers have a centered low mounted fuel tank and with the wide stance of these mowers they are much better at holding slopes. We have probably taken the Tiger Cub is a few spots where we should not have been.
    We never remove our rops. Bottom line: Tiger Cub has a narrow wheel stance, high mounted fuel tanks. Excellent little mower but not the best for hills, an steep slopes.
  5. jwhitson

jwhitson LawnSite Member

Thanks it helps hearing it from somebody who has one......
  6. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i had the tiger cub 48 19hp kawasaki. for being that small it did great on hills. it does 100 times better than exmark hp units.
    but hills it was great no worries.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We run 2 walk behinds,2 wildcats and picked up a tiger cub this season,these are all scags to me they hold a hill like glue we use common sense with em.
  8. Maxify

Maxify LawnSite Member

I ran a Scag TC for years. Loved it. Hugged the hills very well but take it easy. The dealer gave me this advice. Scag's engineers tell the dealer that anything more than 23 degree incline is unsafe. It'll handle a lot more than that but err on the side of discretion. More than a 23 degree incline sideways will start a pucker factor in places on your torso that can't be discussed in company with your pastor. Uphill was never an issue and I'm 6'4" 270#. That being said; use common sense with any machine. Opt for the larger than standard motor and couple it with lots of PM maintenance.
  9. jwhitson

jwhitson LawnSite Member

Thanks I think i migh look at the wildcat also....
  10. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48" Tiger Cub. I have used it on a 20° hill, up, down, & sideways. At the time, it had rear weights and did not have a grass catcher.

It did fine, but I would certainly feel more comfortable on one of the larger models with a lower CG.