Anybody work a colorado/canyon?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by honda55, Aug 19, 2013.

1. honda55

honda55 LawnSite Member

Looking at a nice colorado. Has the 3.5 5cyl engine. 4x4 extended cab automatic. Real clean. I love the look. Right now it would tow a 5x10 open with mulch/ Vantage 4 days a week. (just back roads. no interstate) How would it do? Any chance it could to a 5x10 enclosed (plans to buy one). I love the looks and the truck just want to know how they tow. Anyone have any reviews?

Thanks
    Andrew

PS pics are always nice :weightlifter:

2. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

Every now and then i pull a 12 ft with my 4.8 gmc pickup and its a total dog with only one mower, trimmer and a blower... Im sure it will do it, but it wont like it. I would recomend full size, just my opinion..

3. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

those trucks are as thirsty as a full size ,why bother .

4. honda55

honda55 LawnSite Member

I see they return 23 mpg? What fullsize gets that?

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

You can't always believe the sticker.

6. Bautieri

Bautieri LawnSite Member

Towing capacity is probably around 4000lbs if I had to guess. Keep in mind that number includes the weight of the trailer.

As for how well it will pull, it will probably leave much to be desired. Can it do it, probably. Long term? Probably not. The real problem is going to be stopping that truck/trailer combo when you're loaded down. If it were me, I'd pass and wait for a good deal on a half ton. If your heart is set on this truck, I'd look into adding an external transmission cooler and get a trailer with brakes.

7. ecurbthims

I have several reg cab 8 foot box 2wd gm 1500s that get that every day .

8. ecurbthims

I forgot about a 2012 f150 that I had for a year got the same mileage as well .

9. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

pretty sure my brother told me he gets 19 with his colorado, i get 17.5 with my full size and the small 4.8.. Those small trucks are a waste of money in my opinion..

10. truckn

truckn LawnSite Member

From a guy that just switched from a Dakota to a Ram 1500 go with the fullsize. I get better towing mileage with my Ram, because it's not struggling like the v-6 Dakota. It handles the trailer better and has stronger brakes.