anybody worried about this fall?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Oct 2, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am seriously worried about this fall and how it might be a short one. I just checked my records for last year and we did fall clean ups until December 2nd.

I have this weird feeling that the season is going to be done the first week of November with the amount of leaves that are already falling.

What is everybody elses thoughts and feelings on the matter?

2. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

I think that its going to be a long fall with a very active winter. I agree that the leaves are falling soon but still should be a good amount of work left for all of us. Think positive I am

3. tiedeman

from earth

trust me, i am trying to think positive, I just think that we this recent snow fall it is starting to have me worried...heck my crews are starting later too because of the frost on the ground.

by the way, welcome to the site

4. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We did our last clean up on Dec. 12th last year...I thought I was the only one working in Dec. Glad to see I wasn't alone. Last year, it took so long for the leaves to drop, we had no choice but to wait until they came down.

We don't have a lot of leaves down here (yet). They are showing some color at the tops. I just want them to fall so I can get them cleaned up before the snow comes or it gets too cold.

I was freaked out this morning when it was SO COLD. It did warm up into the 50's, so the day was OK. I'd rather work in the cold than the heat.

5. tiedeman

from earth

I do have to agree with you on that, I love working in the cold and I love doing snow removal. Waking up at 3am every morning is so peaceful.

I am just affraid of the lost income from the leaves

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm betting the weather is going to warm up again for a while.
    That's My plan,so it has to work that way.....Right.

But that is what I am thinking.

7. tiedeman

from earth

I hope so. I would love it to warm back up in the high 60's or 70's to see the grass take off growing again. With the amount of rain that we have received the warm weather would be welcomed

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Still nursing 2 new lawns with overseeding......It needs to warm for just a bit more.
    It was downright cold on the mower this morning with the breeze blowing.I'm with you......60's-70's.

9. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i hope the leaves don't fall until the first week of november.very few trees have changed color around here.the past 3 days were the first cold days this season.hope it warms up for a few more weeks

10. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gald I live in Wa. and not where you all live! It's been 75-80 degrees for the past two weeks, great for working. It looks like it's gonna start cooling next week.

How long do you other Northwesterners do leaf cleanups? This will be my first season of leaves.