Anyone a BBB member?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tpirobert, Mar 16, 2001.

1. mbwent

mbwent LawnSite Member

Join the local Chamber of Commerce instead - networking and marketing opportunities are well worth the investment.

2. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of you found BBB to be valuable in recent history? My in-laws asked me last weekend if my company was. It hasn't even really crossed my mind. Thoughts?

3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

This thread is really old.

I don't think the BBB is worth much of anything anymore. Bout as good as the phonebook.

4. CarolinaWater.org

CarolinaWater.org LawnSite Member

Agreed with BigLittleC, its a lot like the phone book or a radio shack. It once was very relevant, but times and technology changed and the BBB did not, while Google and Yelp became the new place to find information and reviews on companies. I haven't been a member since the late 90's...

You would be much better off to promote positive Google reviews in my opinion...

5. Kick Gas Lawn Care

Kick Gas Lawn Care LawnSite Member

They have been calling me for two years, trying to get me to sign up, but I couldn't justify spending over $400. Finally gave in this year, so I'll see what happens. Even if I get two calls for the whole season it will pay for itself. It does represent a system that allows consumers to flag certain companies that are ripping people off, so it cant be all bad.

6. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I don't think people use the BBB to find providers, but some do use it to qualify providers.

If your clientele is older, or you are in a rural area, you may find they still value it. Or, if your company is new and doesn't have the Yelp or Google reviews then being a BBB member is an attainable trust builder.

All that said, I would not pay them. I would, however, put their logo on my site with a link to my profile. You don't have to be "certified" or whatever to show people your rating.

7. snow_mower

snow_mower LawnSite Member

No, but I'd be pretty sure you need to have permission to use the logo. Have permission = be a member in good standing.

8. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I wouldn't use the logo that indicates you are accredited, just the general BBB one. Using to point to your own profile (they are using your name without asking!) should be fine.

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

They tried to get me for years. In my opinion nothing positive every comes out of it. It's only negative reviews.

I've only had one customer ask why I didn't have it when I had everything else. I was honest and told him I'm not paying to be in a directory that isn't revelant today the only thing people use it for is to complain. He thought it was a free service and had no idea. He was probably 70 years old so I understand why he looked. Still got the job from him though

Ben Bowen likes this.
  10. yardsmowed

yardsmowed LawnSite Senior Member

I was a member in my other business for two years until I had this total jerk lodged a complaint of losing a screw in the mail and said it was our fault. That was the beginning of a $hit storm I never want to revisit. Soon as that was over I dropped my membership as BBB was NO HELP whatsoever. Why should I pay that kinda $$ to be able to have BBB logo on my website. Nope. Never again. IMO the BBB is a money grabbing institute that serves no purpose.

whiffyspark and Ben Bowen like this.