Anyone actually use leaf blowers to do cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Nov 5, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Seems like everyone only uses mowers either with vacs or special blade setups to mulch but surely someone still uses blowers? Obviously mowers are faster on larger props and reduce debris volume, and trim the grass, and mulching can sometimes be just as effective under the right conditions, but on small lawns isn't it just as quick and easy to use a blower (backpack blower)? Especially if curb pickup is provided by the city... Does it work to mulch over the leaves once with mower then blow into piles?
    Seems around here there isn't enough need for a good catcher but mulching isn't always best either and with a walk behind options are limited for catchers as well.... arggghhhh!!!!
    But I do have a new idea for a catcher for a walk behind, a new better design that no one has thought of so maybe if it works I will patent and sell it.
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I still use blowers and a truck vac, no rakes though.
    I maintain high end, and they pay well to have several cleanups done a season. We have a pretty good system which works well.

I dont think I could ever 'get away' with just mulching the leaves.

I found it too had to blow the leaves if you cut first (pieces too small) , therefore we blow first, then cut/bag.

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Other than blowing out beds and such, I use the blower to blow small slopes or strips (like between street and sidewalk) onto the lawn before I mulch.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i hardly ever seen anybody mowing up the leaves. all the guys around here, myself included, blow out the beds with back packs, use the big blowers to blow into piles or woods, and then vac up any piles if necessary. then a mower with a vac will mow the yard to get a nice finished look removeing any missed leaves.

5. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

First of all you need to blow out the beds before you mow, then run over the debris with the mower(either mulching or bagging), but be sure not to blow the debris back into the beds. I've often seen guys lay out a big tarp onto the lawn, then use a blowers to blow the leaves on the tarp, and dump the tarp full of leaves onto the trailer... hope this helps! :)

6. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

I used to until this year- i bought a cyclone rake and have done 4 cleanups with it so far...3 of which today. It suckedup leaves that were frozen to the ground and later as it got warmer it sucked up the soaking wet leaves no problem. I never would have been able to do this with blowers. I do bring my little wonder with me but the only blower i actually use is the stihl br420 and thats only to move the leaves on the sides in towards the middle. With the properties i do, the vacuum is SO much better. Last 2 years we used tarps and blowers and this is so much easier. My little wonder is almost useless now! lol o well
    -Coop

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Cooper, what kind of mower are you pulling it with? A commercial mower?
    I just looked at thier site and they show it attached to homeowner style lawn tractors.
    Just curious. Thanks.

8. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

I use the blower on larger properties. They're useful for clearing out beds and such. I blow everything across the yard into one or two big piles onto a tarp and away I go. The downside is that if its windy, it blows them back unless you throttle down..

On smaller properties, I use the blower to clean out the edges, beds, etc, blow everything into the center and vacumn it with the mower. My clients have been happy with this detail.

That said, only about half of my clients requested clean ups this season. The leaves have been late dropping yet its been hovering around 35 degrees all through October. Some like to do it themselves for the exercise.

9. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

We use our blowers to blow the leaves off the grass and onto the driveway or road then get it up with the riding mower. The blower get the leaves out of the small areas and makes the yard a lot nicer looking than to run over it with the mower.

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

No, no no no, what I meant was, do you use blowers to clean off the whole yard, not just flower beds? I mean like not even fire up the mower at all (well maybe to clean it up after blowing everything off)???
    Thanks,
    Eric