Anyone advertise like this? I think it could work very well...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MowingMowingMowing, Jul 29, 2009.

1. MowingMowingMowing

MowingMowingMowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I think I might do this for aeration this fall.

This would be on top of my current customers and other flyers. I got done too fast last time (24 hr. rental....18 jobs with a helper last year= wasted rental time) and want to maximize my aeration time.

Ok, well I got this idea from a guy that sells roofs and it seems to work well for him, here goes...

Find a desired neighborhood (s), area, etc. go by in the morning the day or so before you plan on aerating and flyer the houses. Leave a flyer/doorhanger saying something like "We will be aerating in your neighborhood tomorrow, call us at 111-111-1111 to schedule or simply leave an envelope with payment on the screen door and we will swing by the neighborhood sometime tomorrow." ---- not exactly like that, but along those lines

Then at night, say around 5 p.m. and on, go back to this neighborhood(s), knock on the doors, introduce yourself, "I'm Steve from ********* Lawn Care, I left the aeration flyer on your door, did you get a chance to look at it?"

Then you go from there talking with the homeowner. This would also be the 2nd time the homeowner sees you (we all know about name recognition and how many times the customer needs to see you before making a buy)

Has anyone ever tried this? Any thoughts as to if it is a good idea?

I can think of a couple downsides to this, but think it has potential. What are your thoughts?

2. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

it sounds kinda demanding to me! whats wrong with just leaving the flyer on the door??? if they need you they'll just give you a ring! i personally would skip the whole flyer thing but thats just me!

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of guys who seal driveways around here put out a card with the price ,then about 2 weeks later you see a ton of drives sealed all in one day. So maybe work something like that.

4. MiguelTX

MiguelTX LawnSite Member

We get these type of flyers at our house. They paint your house number on the curb, black font over a white background. I think they only charge $10 for the basic painting but you can upgrade by having a local sports team logo, etc. The flyers are usually hot pink and they instruct you to attach payment and put the flyer somewhere that can be visible from the street. It must work because a lot of homes in our area have their house numbers painted on the curb. :)

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

it seems like a good idea but i would not bother them by knocking around dinner time. if they need it done they will call the # on your flier

6. berry bro

berry bro LawnSite Member

that job you were tlkin bout the one were they paint the numbers on the drive way does anybody know about that do you have to have a speacial permit and i still think the best way to advertise is goin door to door and talkin to people thats where i had my best luck

7. MiguelTX

MiguelTX LawnSite Member

I don't think you need a permit but I could be wrong. I think the curbs belong to the county but they don't have a "painting on the curb" police division. My neighbor did his own curb with a stencil and it looks just as good as all the others.

8. berry bro

berry bro LawnSite Member

ok thanks cuz i am looking for jobs for the winter so that might be an option

9. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

Out of town tree service company does that. They will have one job on the street and send a guy to all the neighbors to see if they want a deal because they are in the area.

Put flyer out a week and then a day before. I personally wouldn't knock on the door.

10. MiguelTX

MiguelTX LawnSite Member

The times they put flyers in our neighborhood, they taped them to the mailbox. It's against Federal law to put (or take) mail inside a mailbox but I think the outside is OK. Don't quote me on that though... Taping small flyer to a mailbox can save you a TON of time: you drive and your helper does all the taping! :)