Anyone attach an Aerator to a walkbehind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ENDURO, Apr 12, 2006.

1. ENDURO

ENDURO LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried to rig up an aerator attachment to their walkbehind? I'd love to be able to attach a Trac Vac 48 to the front of mine. Spoke to a guy at Trac Vac, he said no-way! I didn't ask why, wish I did. I bet it could be done by the right person. I also thought about attaching a pull behind Turfco 42 which should be easy enough, but I'm afraid I might fall down and aerate myself, ouch.
    Thanks.

2. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Falling and aerating yourself is why the manufacturer said no way. It is not a good idea, that is what they make riders for.

REV

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

why couldn't you attach it to the front? like JRCO does.

4. ENDURO

ENDURO LawnSite Member

I agree the back is a bad idea, but the front should work fine. If I'm not mistaken, some company makes a dethacher that attaches to the front of a walkbehind. I can't remember the name.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

JRCO makes them. We have the 60" one. They make a 48" as well.

6. ENDURO

ENDURO LawnSite Member

I spoke w/ the guy at JRCO. He didn't recommend them on walkbehinds. He said it would be like "the tail wagging the dog" in that it was just too much weight to push and you wouldn't get enough traction to turn or go up any inclines. Have you had good luck w/ yours? I was looking into getting a Plugr 850, but they are $4,000 and only 26 inches wide. I'd much rather get a 48" or 60". Thanks.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Man, I sure wish I coud find the thread that had the pics of Lawrence Stone's aerator. It was a tow behind drum like a roller, it had hollow tubes on it for aerating, and it he towed it behind his Toro wb with a seat on it. Where the heck is he hanging out nowadays, anyway?

8. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Not sure, I was just thinking about him a couple days ago for some reason. I think he has been banned from some of the forums, maybe he is on one of his vacations again....:cool2:

9. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

just buy a walkbehind aerater like a ryan or classen, pull behinds are a thing of the past