1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone been fined for no permit to put out flyers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wendicp, Feb 20, 2008.

1. wendicp

wendicp LawnSite Member

We are hitting the doorhangers hard this year and we have run into a little problem. We have been told by a few people we needed a permit so I called the city to find out and sure enough we do. They require alot of crap just to get a permit. Has anyone put them out without a permit? If so were you fined? What happened. I would like to continue to put them out until our solicitors permit comes thru. What do you think? Thanks
  2. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Great ... more red tape within the indusrty that we dont need.

How's about stopping the people that run around doing things illegal? Shouldnt we focus our attention their?
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the time the citys that require a Permit are the ones that DONT allow door to door,

it's just another way to get more money, IMO
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I completely disagree its about the town wanting more money.

Were my wife and I lived the townspeople spoke up and voiced there opinion to the town officials. We were complaining about all this solicitation and the hours it was happening and the like. The town then said anyone soliciting needs to provide there information to have on record and needed to pay a small fee. They then would receive something like rules about when they could and when they couldn't solicite.
  5. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Permits are BS. I drop 4 guys off at a time in a neighborhood. I carry a police scanner and just listen for the call to come out. EX: City ordinance violation someone passing out flyers. Complainant does not wish contact. I would swing over there and just pick my guy up.

But this has never happened. Only once I was not listening and my guy got stopped. My guy didn't speak English and he just told him something along the lines of he couldn't put out anymore and my guy just sat right there and the officer left. I came back an hour later to find him almost where I had dropped him off at.

I seriously would do the permit thing just because I am required but it's just stupid. It's about money. They want me to list everyone that will be putting out flyers and we are all required to undergo a back ground check. Well you know if I am using a day laborer which I sometimes do he is not going to be on that list. Then on top of that the permit is only good for so long.

In another city a back ground check is required but then for every additional person that wants to put out fliers it cost 10 bucks.

****Note**** I am not saying to break the law. This is just what I do. It's just like speeding. You might get caught at some point.
  6. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

More red tape... maybe next time (another 4 years) we can get it right and elect a real conservative, then maybe the attitude will spread. Less government involvement = more prosperity for everyone (less waste).
    Sorry, just pis*ed off about politics right now.

There are so many freakin' laws and ordinances, it is probably against the law to have an unregistered sign on your truck anymore; "do you have a sign permit for that sign? It is more than 36 1/2 inches across and you need a sign permit for anything larger than that".
    IMO- don't get caught twice (you always get a freebie the first time)
  7. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

Not to get off topic but on the sign thing. I have a friend in the Dallas area and his truck was all lettered up. He kept all his equipment in his Garage and had his truck parked in back. City came by repeated times and told him he had to move the truck that you couldn't have a work truck visible or something like that. So, he ended up having to pay an extra $250 bucks a month for storage that was 15 min away.
  8. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I have a conditional use permit for my property which allows me to park my commercial vehicle on my property. I know what you mean.
    My dad was asked to sit in on a planning meeting for our city and a lady wanted to put up a fence in her yard so she could have a day care. They started telling her all the hoops she'd have to jump through and my dad said "just let her build her dam* fence". He wasn't asked to come back again.
    Some people have lost all sense of why America is what it is. It is the business owner- the man with an idea- that changes things. Stupid laws only hold back progress. I'm not an anarchist, but we could do with a lot less regulation. Sad thing is some people abuse the system enough that a law becomes necessary, so we, as a people, have brought it on ourselves.
    Law should be more flexible. One size doesn't fit all. All contingencies cannot be seen at the onset. If anyone is interested, there is a good book on the subject- "The Death of Common Sense".
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

DAllas Is REAL bad about this. ALSO if THEY find out that your running a home business your taxes will go up, WAter, and electricy....

I ran a LC in Garland. they look for people like us,

again jsut another way to get a nickle or two outta the public.....

WHAT A PITA.....
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering if you service the Garland area ?

I need someone for my mothers house....