Anyone been rejected due to lack of personnel?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by SunsationalLandServices, Aug 12, 2009.

1. SunsationalLandServices

SunsationalLandServices LawnSite Member

I put in a bid on a property this week and was turned down since they "went with a larger crew" and "thought the job may be too much for me". Am I right for being insulted or is that just the way it goes? The property was 1.5 acres, mostly open lawn area, some tight spots, and hedge trimming monthy. I bid it at $60/wk mowing & $60/mo hedge trimming. I figured this bases on 2hrs @ $30/hr. I admit I am kinda new to this and it is just me, but I've done similar jobs and know I am perfectly capable of handling it, plus I have good equipment - 60" chopper and all stihl equip. in a very nice enclosed trailer. Oh well, just venting I suppose!

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

your equipment is more than enough. i have seen people mow more acres with a 36'' wb. in one day i have mowed 12 acres at 4 sites with a 445 jd tractor mower and 54'' deck. NOt sure what to tell you. maybe they under bid you and didn't want to say that. seems a little cheap too, but i don't don't know your area

3. SunsationalLandServices

That's what I can't figure out. I went a little low due to the fact that it is just me (lower overhead). A crew of 3 or 4 would have to be more?!

4. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

48 acres wirh an old ride on. No WAY.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Greenboy24

Greenboy24 LawnSite Senior Member

12 acres at 4 different sites = 3 acres per stop assuming they were all the same size....at least that is how I read it

6. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

I'm guessing they may have had difficulty in the past with a new LCO who got in over his head, and are wary of small operations. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe they want to minimize the amount of time noisy machinery is present, and would rather have a big crew in and out fast than you working 2 hours by yourself.

7. SunsationalLandServices

I guess, the thing is, is that i was recommended to them by someone else so I don't get it. The fact that they told me they did't think I could handle it is still pretty insulting though! I may be smaller and newer than some, but I am no two bit operation!

8. when i first started reading your post, i thought you put a bid on a large commercial site. 1.5 acres is nothing! I think your prices are a little too low, but with that Dixie and mostly open areas, you should easily be able to tackle that account. See what happens, they might not be happy with this "big op."

Good luck man! good to see more Florida cats on here.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

you would have been able to do that property easily

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

That makes alot more sense !!