Anyone belong to the NFIB??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LB Landscaping, Jun 7, 2004.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Local NFIB ( National Foundation of Independent Business) rep got me today at the local supermarket looking for me to join. Anyone here belong??? What do you think?

2. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Jeff, what do they do for you?

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I was a member for about 30 days. When I got done reading the fine print I decided it wasn't for me.

Gene

4. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thats what I figured Gene, thanks!!!!
    Hey Rich, they supposedly rally on behalf of small business to legislatures, and government, seemed like a waste.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is their home site if anyone is interested in reading more.

6. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

been a member for a number of years now. what do they do for you???
    well if you're looking for someone to take you out for lunch, look elsewhere.

if you're looking for someone to help you mow a lawn when its 90*, look elsewhere

if you're looking to have government realize that small business makes this country tick, if you're looking for someone to keep a watchful eye on small business taxes, insurances etc. If you'd like to be part of an oranization made up of small business owners like yourself (some earn $20000 some $500000) who will poll their ideas and thoughts on how government should vote on certain issues affecting YOUR business, if you'd like to be sure there are people on the federal level lobbing for YOUR businss then you should definately join. The yearly cost is minimal. You can also, as a member, get legal counseling, business counceling, health insurance and much more.

come on folks, get involved, if you aint the type to get on the phone to call your congressmen, or if you cant seem to log off this site and send an email to your representative then you NEED TO JOIN

www.nfib.com

7. LB Landscaping

from Maine

TSM sounds intriguing. Do you pay dues or a monthly fee??? The rep was kind of sketchy about it.

8. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

we pay a yearly fee (dues)- the fee will depend on the gross income of your business. Our business has grown significantly since we first joined NFIB but we still pay the same fee as we did when we first joined. I believe its around $150 per year.

"The rep was kind of sketchy about it."

you can pretty much set up your own fee structure, my advice would be to contact NFIB and explain that you do indeed want to be involved but as a smaller, newer business the minimum fee is a bit steep for you.....i'd be willing to bet they give you a discount to get you on board...once you see how much this organization truely does for small businesses the following year you will be willing to dish out their minimum.

good luck

9. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thanks TSM I'm going to check out the website link gopher posted to get more info.

10. neal-wolbertsinc

neal-wolbertsinc LawnSite Member

I agree with TSM. N.F.I.B. is worth supporting since they work hard at reperesenting companies like ours. They are powerful and you get to put your two bits in as well. Join and get involved, it can only help. Neal