Anyone blow leaves into tarps for cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Four Star, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Four Star

Four Star LawnSite Member

I have a big job to do, that I've been putting off because of the weather, and had to put off again today because of the weather. If any of you remember my earlier post, I have a 36" and do not have the means to invest in a large leaf vac setup. I was thinking I could set the tarp up, and use the mower without the bagger and blow the leaves into the tarps that way. Does this make sense, or is it more of a PITA than its worth?

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Might be worth it if:

1) you have a large enough tarp where the leaves won't blow past it, and

2) you have the means to anchor down the tarp so it doesn't flap

What you could also do is mow (discharge) the leaves into a pile and simply rake them on to the tarp.

MATT

3. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, what I do in cases like this especailly when having to haul the leaves off on a larger size job, I will blow all the leaves in the grass with a blower then take the mower and run over them a time or two dis-charging and then run back over a finail time with the grass catcher to pick them up this will prob. cut the leaves down 65% maybe more seems like a lot of riding to cut the leaves up but I had rather do that than leave the property with a trailer full of leaves and then work to get them off the trailer later when I could be doing something else, Thats what I have found to be the easiest, I have spent 3-4 hours on job site then has taken me a hour to unload the leaves later, I dont have any type of trailer vac system and this is my simpliest way. Hope this Idea will help you.

Tim

4. Four Star

Fantastic, thanks for the help guys, its much appreciated.

5. Four Star

Also, do you ever try doing this stuff when its wet? HUGE pain. I'm trying to wait for this stuff to dry, but its supposed to rain again tomorrow. :(

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

four star-what kind of blower are you running?

7. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

We usually blow all the leaves out of the beds and then other guys use the wb blower, when pile is getting big a guy brings the Z and pushes the leaves to the curb or into the woods, a friend of mine picks'em up

In their laziness my employees taught me a new trick last week, cause we also have couple of small properties where we haul the leaves away, they started the same procces and then laid the tarp on the side of the pile, guy brought the wb and pushed the leaves into the tarp, big time saving compare to rakin'em up

8. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Raking em onto a BIG tarp works fine when necessary. For shrub beds, I pull a long tarp around and just fill it up. Burrito fold it when full and carry it back to dump. But consider the space leaves take up in your truck/trailer hauling space.

I have seen many operators use multiple tarps for grass and leaves. They fill the tarp, fold it and lay it in the truck, get the next tarp and repeat. Then at the dump, they are grabbing a tarp, and emptying it out on the dump just like everyone else emptied it into their trucks. So they are saving handling time- good for those without dumpbeds.

If you run leaves through a mower (bagging) or a vac system before loading them you can get more in the limited space of a rig. That means more properties before dumping. Yea, I know, stomp on em... When you consider how tight you can get mulched leaves vs. whole leaves (stomping in both situations) there's little comparison.

IMO leaf pick-up is a MAJOR consideration when buying a mower. Deck vacuum/suction is big! As is the possibility to bag when necessary. A production mower ought to be useful for more than just cutting grass.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

once in a while we use tarps for hauling off the site, but mostly we do two things:
    1. blow them off into their woods or wood area
    2. go over them with the mower and bag them (like stated above, cuts down on the physical labor, and the size of the load)

10. Four Star

I have an Echo PB403-T Backpack blower. It works pretty well, although its having trouble running. I need to change the air filter, hopefully that will correct it.