Anyone bought a new Stihl BP420 lately?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Camelot Gardens Uk, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

I have just replaced a Stihl BP420 which was stolen a year ago, The new one has a much larger pipe and starts first time amazing.

It's still a BP420 wonder if any of you have (2) different types?

2. I still have a BP400. I'm waiting until next year to upgrade. I understand that's when they're introducing the 4-mix blower.
    I have a 4-mix trimmer and really like it compared to my FS85, if for no other reason than the sound of the engine. (No screaming)

Dave

I've never heard of two separate model 420's. Wouldn't that be a contradiction of terms?

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

im sorry but did you mean a BR420???

4. travis strecker

travis strecker LawnSite Member

i just got the new br 420 magnum, it is a nice blower lots of power and about to buy a bg 85 hand held

5. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

thay have had the big tube for about a year
    i would update mine but i would have to change
    the elbow, control assembly, and the tube

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I ran 4 of them but one was stolen this spring the oldest one I have is perhaps 14 months. I do love them but that pipe you talk of was the first thing to go. They do make an adapter tube, which shrinks the width of the pipe and allows you to put on the curved tip like the old 400s had.

I don't know what people use the large short pipe for or why so many seem to accept that as good. But once you have a long curved pipe with that power being forced through the new smaller tube and you do fall clean ups your ask your self why would I ever settle for anything less. The pipe I use allows me to precisely target what I want to move and ignore spots I don’t such as bark chips or early spring flowers. With a simple twist of the wrist you can re-aim from a completely different direction and round up leaves or what ever with easy I often will out perform on an open lawn the guy on the 13 hp push blower.

Is stihl the best back packs on the market probably not but they are the only ones smart enough of the big 4 to give me a trigger finger on the pipe and not some stupid extra arm on my left side. Not sure what they are thinking but when you need to crawl behind bushes and through them you need that hand to help move branches and protect your face. Until red max, shindawa, or echo, figure that out to me they will always be crap not to mention I do not appreciate getting stabbed in the back from that control arm as I put on a back pack. This being my 16th year in the trade and I have always been the back pack guy in spring and fall wearing it upwards of 7 hours of real use per day sometimes going through as much as 8 tanks of gas in a shift. I feel I did not come to my conclusions to quickly or lightly.

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i have the br 420 magnum, ive had it for a month or two, it has been great, execpt i think its been loosing power every week, idk. to be honest, its a great blower, but i think next year i want to get something more powerful. if i were you, i would spend an extra hundred or two and get a real nice more powerful redmax or something.

8. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I took off the curved bottom sometime last year. It was always smacking and dragging against the ground and it became too much of a pain, I had to put duct tape on it because it would wear away so much. Now we just use the skinny tubes that only reach the ground when they go straight down.

9. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Do the sthils really start easy now? the older ones were a peal pest to start.

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

The long curved shaft just creates more back pain for me. I used the stihl 400 for years, and took the curved tips off right away.

My redmax 7001's with their short wide tubes outblows all the stihls, without all the sideways pressure. Less fatique, faster, more powerful, more CFM......you can keep those curved tips.