1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone buy off ebay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tkr76, May 19, 2003.

1. tkr76

tkr76 LawnSite Member

I typed in search work EXMARK on ebay. I saw thay have exmark blades for the 52 inch cut for under $7.00. They say they are what comes from factory. If this is true that is over half of what my dealer charges per blade.

Can those descriptions be trusted. Seems like the cheapest way to buy blades if they are the same. Has anyone bought blades or anything else off ebay?
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I've bouht tons of stuff off of e-bay and have had nothing but good luck. Check the sellers feerback to make sure it's good and you should be alright.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Descriptions on Ebay are only as good as the people giving them. Ask lots of questions...If they dont respond and in a timely matter take heed.
    Make sure they are the right blades...right length, style, bolt hole size, etc. The dealer will take them back but the guy on Ebay wont.

Consider shipping in the cost.

Good Luck
  4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I have purchased many tools, the good stuff-Snap-On and Mac. You just have to know the real prices and ask the right questions if the discription does not tell you what you need to know.
    From a lawn standpoint I have purchased a trailer, an Exmark LHP, a backpack sprayer, backpack blower, Lesco spreader, sofware, memory for my laptop, and gifts for the wife plus a few shooting accessories. I was ripped of once in 3 1/2 years on a set of open-end wrenches that the guy never delivered. I also sell some stuff, but not on a regular basis. Like a live auction, if you don't know the real "street price" of the new item, you can pay too much for a used item. I've seen folks at live household auctions pay more than new price because they get caught up in the competition. Ask questions. If there is no picture, pass. If the picture is not of the actual item, pass. If the seller has a high percentage of negative feedback or no history, pass. All things turn up on ebay sooner or later.
  5. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased a set of 3 gators for my Gravely off ebay about two weeks ago. As a matter of fact, they were listed for an eXmark, but he dimensions are the same for my unit. Here is the link to my auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=22654&item=2318176589 If this is the guy you are talking about, he is great to deal with. Had them in about 5 days. Paid about $32 shipped to my door for 3 blades. They are true gators as well, even marked with the alligator...:)
  6. Those are not gator brand blades, they are gator type blades. I was proven wrong on this here very Lawnsite.

J Thomas sells them also for less and has free shipping.

I use those blades, I don't like the gator brand blades.

Not the same gator insignia.
  7. dwost

Thanks Lawngodfather for clearing that up. I thought it was the same insignia...:) what do you like better about these vs the original "Gator's"?

8. High lift and they get the grass out of the deck.

Problem I have with gators, they make puffy clumps. The lifts wear extremely fast, more so than the cutting edge on the blade.

Those blades do have a alligator insignia, but they are not gator blades.

I posted a pic of them last year, but I can't find it.
  9. dwost

So, the ones I got are hi-lift? OR are you saying you prefer straight hi-lift blades? If these are the hi-lift type, then would they be equivalent to the gator magnums? Thanks for the clarification.
  10. They are high lift.. I think they are also .250 thick blades.

Equivilent to the Gator Magnums, but they shoot the grass out of the deck.

I love these blades!!!!!