Anyone buy spindle driven grass catcher for Scag Tiger Cub?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 29, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this is sort of specific and might not get many replies but I am interested in buying the spindle driven 93 Gallon grass catcher attachment for my 52" Scag Tiger Cub.

Does anyone have one? I am curious how large an area on average you can mow before dumping? Are there any drawbacks or other info I should know before making the purchase?

Thanks
    Jimbo

2. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

It has been heard that the catching system for the cub might clog more frequently then the full size tiger system. Heard that Tiger the elder rarely clogs unless you have the larger decks. Just a heads up to check out a little more. Just second hand info here.

LawnSite! Helping us all to the top of our craft!

3. Jimbo

Thanks for the info Robert. I will do some more research. I am not sure what the difference would be between the Tiger Cub and the Sabre Tooth Tiger (except engine power). My Cub has the largest engine available though 27HP.

4. cnflawn

cnflawn LawnSite Member
    from tn

hi jimbo
    if you have the 27 hp you must have a turf tiger the biggest engine on the cub is the 23 hp

jerald

5. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Jimbo,
    The entire catching system is smaller on the tiger cub.

6. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

jimbo,

why didn't you buy the cougar, then you can bag or not.

7. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the catcher system on my Turf Tiger. 27 hp LC, 61" deck. Seems to have no problems. Going thru really thick areas I have to slow down somewhat to allow the grass to have time to get into the bags. I only use my catcher on a couple of properties. I can install it in less than five minutes. The catcher assembly on the back is a two man job to install. Too big and heavy for one person. It really packs the grass in the bags. That's my only complaint. Mine has three bags and if you let them get completely full they can weigh around 75lbs each when full.

8. Jimbo

I was incorrect...mine is the 23HP Kawasaki engine (tiger Cub) I didn't but the cougar because I didn't plan to bag, but with all this rain I think it would be quicker to bag. Plus the cougar looked too big an bulky. The dealer told me about the catcher and I thought it was a good idea because it could be removed.

I figured that the bags would get pretty heavy.

Watatrp- How much grass (roughly) can you cut with the 93 gallon (mulching) catcher as compared to a standard 4 bushel cloth or metal bagger on say a WB?

9. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

The 93 gal. capacity is equal to 10 bushels. You really catch more grass than you would standard catcher mounted on the side of your deck because the blower really packs the grass in the bag. I would guess that you would be able to bag about three times the area that you could with a 4 bushel bag.

10. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The bagger for the STC is ok but if you get into grass that's really thick and even a little damp, you can forget it. You'll be stopping every 3rd pass to unclog the chute. And leaves ... ugh. The oak leaves clog it up something fierce. To me it seems worth it to either get the mulch master kit or to get the cougar for bagging or the TT for either bagging/mulching or discharge.