1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone care to help me with plant design/flower bed?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dave88LX, May 5, 2012.

1. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

To be right up front with you, I don't know a whole lot about plants/flowers/shrubs. What I can say is I am looking for something fairly low maintenance. Something I don't have to replant every year. Perhaps something that blooms at different times so from spring through fall there is always something with color (maybe?). I don't want the window blocked for security and natural light reasons. That is mainly it.

I have heard not to mulch all the way up to the house because of bugs. Do you just put a narrow course of stone along the house, and then mulch out from that?

Also need to do something with that small triangle area up front. Thinking of filling in with stone. I can't plant anything too deep/need to be careful where I plant because of the drain tube coming from under the wall.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I've provided a couple pics to give you something to work with. I have nothing on the other side of the front door currently.

This is going to be the final design:
  2. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

There's a great book called Perennial Combinations by C Colston Burrell that will serve your purpose of figuring out what to plant for your site.

While you have given pictures of the area, there are many more factors that go into a proper landscape design than just 3 pictures. Another suggestion is to hire a landscaper to do a design for you.
  3. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

Here's where I'm at now with it. I know some people like to screw around with this stuff so I figured I'd ask. Not looking to get very fancy (hire out); might just head to the store and stick some stuff in the ground and hope for the best. Sacrilegious, I know.

4. IPDesigns

IPDesigns LawnSite Member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Something I just threw together
    Indian Hawthorns (down the house)
    Evergreens (tall trees)
    flax lilly (middle row of plants)
    front ( perennial or annual of choice)

Forgot to mulch it lol
  5. Dave88LX

Dave88LX LawnSite Member

I didn't realize you had taken the time to make that, thank you! It's currently still a mulch bed. :( Been a super busy summer unfortunately. This is what I have currently.