anyone carry weapons or anything to prevent theft when on the site?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Jun 22, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

anyone carry pistols or anything of that matter (becides fists) when on the site incase someone tried stealing your equipment?

i was just thinking today what i would do if i found someone stealing my equipment. espissally around here, weve had 2 cars stolen from our driveway. also, with my luck it would be 3 big scary guys and nothing i could do about it. so i was thinking if i had a bebe gun or something i could shoot at their feet to scare em off? idk, just thinking of ways to prevent theft. i carry my sthil products in my bed of the truck so i dont advertise what i own.

2. J and M Mowing

J and M Mowing LawnSite Member

Unless your trained to use a gun and when you can use deadly force (most people don't), it's not safe to carry a gun. Lock up what equipment you can and carry a cell phone. When you call the police, always try to get a tag number, color of vehicle, type of vehicle, direction of travel, etc. It's a lot safer.

3. here we go again lol ....how long will this take to get closed lol

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you live and work in such a crime ridden area why not lock everything up?

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

im scared of guns, i was just wondering what others do to prevent theft. lol. sorry odin. and ido lock everything up execpt my mowers, i hate my cubs, i wouldnt really mind if someone snagged em. but however i love my sthil and echo products. i would be pist of someone stole that equipment and my 48 and 36.

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i keep simba in teh truck most people are scared of him... well not really simba stays home but my cell phone goes with me just keep stuff on trimmer racks or the blowers locked till needed

7. no need to apoligise ....a couple of these weapons treads got closed down lol ..justb wonderin if this one will lol

8. JohnK

JohnK LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

That is a HORRIBLE idea and is likely one that will get you killed. NEVER bluff with a gun or something that looks like a gun. If you aren't prepared to use one, and know when it's legal to do so, you're better off finding some other way to protect yourself.

In most states if you had a real gun and shot at their feet to scare them off you'd probably go to jail.

Maybe you should look into getting some motion sensitive alarms to attach to the equipment that's not in use. We have some at work for laptops, if it gets moved it start shrieking. That would most likely scare the thieves away.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i was in a gang from the age of 14 so if they wont it there gonna have to go thou me and most likely they will lose. Iv been hit with a bat, brick, chain, stabbed, shot and much more but never lost a fight so if you come after me you will lose i guarantee it.
    A pick ax for weeds works well for protection

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

At least here, you'll get gaffled if you carry a pistola without a concealed carry permit. No problem with a shotgun behind the seat of the truck though. Serriously though most dirtbags that will try to jack your gear are chickensh*& any way usually if you see and shout at em' they'll bail like the cowards they are. OR get a body guard. LOL