1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone catch this. Hustler will use only Kawasaki engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That only applies to most of their mid mounts and the TrimStar. The Fastrac Superduty can still be bought with a Honda engine.

Dixie Chopper learned the errors of only allowing one engine brand across a complete lineup. People such as myself that prefer other engines will pass on the Big Dog and Hustler mowers because they're only available with Kaw engines now.

3. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Its a dumb move if you ask me. There are a lot of people who don't like Kawasaki. I prefer kohler engines myself. But Hustler didn't leave me a choice.

4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I don't like not having a choice either... It would seem like I'm buying something I have no control over.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

The Briggs Vanguard Big Block should really be on Super Z's. IMO over 25hp it's the best engine.

6. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler is a much better engine than Kawasaki. I've had so many problems with Kawasakis, and none with Kohlers. I just keep getting deals on new Kaws...

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'm just the opposite. I've had trouble with Kohler and none with Kawi. I'll pass on a machine if the only engine I can get in it is a Kohler. I'd really like to start seeing the Vanguard engines being offered much more in all brands.

8. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had the opposite luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

My kohlers always have smoked since the day they were new. At least 4-5 times a week we will start them and they will send off huge plumes of grey smoke...kohler says its ok...I don't think its acceptable.

that and the backfiring is annoying! (25hp kohlers)

10. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have run Kohler in the past and they all backfire when turned off. I guess you have to idle down for a min or 2 to stop this from happening. Kaw will never backfire no matter when turned off.