Anyone cosidering a Great Dane...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simone Lawn Service, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

After repairing my Great Dane AGAIN today) I noticed that my Surfer has 312 hours on it as of today, and in those 312 hours I have spent over $600.00 in repairs to the mower. This does not include any routine maintenance such as oil, filters, belts, or tires. I mow very litttle compared to most here, and have had my Surfer for about three years. That's over $2 for every hour I mow, towards repairs-not maintenance-repairs. I mentioned this fact to the dealer today and also told him I would never buy another Great Dane product again-not much he could say considering the facts. I will also add that my dealer has on more than one occasion has commented on how nice I keep my equipment, so it was not from lack of upkeep. I'm not trying to be malicious towards Great Dane here, but I wanted to let those considering purchasing one of my bad experience with them.:(

2. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Great mate just what I wanted to hear:(
    I have just spent $19,000 of my hard earned dollars on a GD 52'' 25hp Chariot. I hope Its going to be OK:confused:
    I've only got 29HRS on it. So far and no probs as one would hope.
    It was GD or Toro so I think I've made the right desision. I demoed both and I wouldn't P*SS on those SFS Toro decks to put it out if it was on fire;)
    Have you got a Chariot?
    I have a smaller Greatdane Z, 42'' 16Hp and its just hit 610hrs and I have only had to replace many belts, many blades, 2 mufflers a battery, caster tires and bearings and a spindle so this is why i stayed with GD. But this smaller machine is made down here and the chariots I have found out are Imported from the US. I so hope my machine is going to be a good investment:confused:

3. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

My Great Dane is a 48" Surfer. I help mow at my church, and they have a 61" Chariot. I will say it seems like a lot better mower than mine, more power, better cut quality. I really hope yours does a good job for you.

4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I tell you now, I hope so too! I am happy to hear the Chariot is OK at your church:)