Anyone currently/used to run only granular fertilizer???

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by MacLawnCo, Oct 15, 2002.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to lesco today to find out some info on fert pricing. I had the rep work up figures for doing all my fert, herbiscides, and insectisides using only granular form. Have any of you used this sort of a program before? I am going this way because i dont want the cost of a skid spray unit, less likelyhood of burning, less initial investement and ease of application. Let me know if you think that I am missing something. I would also like to know if you have had good success with a system using only pellets.

2. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

have you ever done applications before?

3. MacLawnCo

no, how come?

4. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

" Let me know if you think that I am missing something.

nuff said

do you think it is easier to pull a hose or push a spreader filled with 30#'s or more?

what will you use for weed control?
    are you using it because a sales rep said it would work?
    are you planning on just applying fert?

5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

After getting little to no results with granular herbicides i have switched to liquid. Although right now i am only spot spraying with confront which works wonders, the $30a bag for momentum didnt give me any i mean ANY results.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I use granular for only fert and pre emergent+fert. Weed control is best applied in a liquid form. I've had good success with insecticides using granular though. I swear by liquid weed control.

Scott

7. MacLawnCo

When you guys do your liquid weed control(post em corect?), do you spot spray or do you do a blanket spray? Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

8. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

If you have the $$ invested in a truck mount spreader then spray the whole lawn or have a spraying unit on a ztr like LGF then spray the whole are otherwise be like me and spot spray for now.

9. MacLawnCo

DL,

you understand exactly why im trying to get away with just granular. I can budget a skid spray unit into my expenses, but I wanted to try and get away without it. Is it practical to spot spray? The rep mentioned that option, but it seemed like it would be a hassle if there were alot of weeds. I will take your advice and consider getting a spray tank unit. I had talked to LGF about getting a mounted unit, but i did not think that it would be practical to have to mount and take it off alot. I dont have an extra z to spare for fert. Thanks for your testimony about momentum.

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Yeah you can use the granular, for fert. I dont use granular form of post m, only pre m. The herbicide needs to have contact on the foilage. The liquid will wet the leaves and make contact. When using granular, only part of it seems to actually stay on the leaves. You will have results with the granular form, but not too good.