Anyone cut with a Snapper Hydro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAVEY PROS, Jul 16, 2006.

1. DAVEY PROS

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

Hey does anyone or has anyone ever used a Snapper Pro Hydro WB? Just wondering becuase I was looking at them today. Any info on how they worked out or the quality of cut please post.

Thanks

2. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Can't help you out on the WB but I have a 52" Snapper Pro ZTR that is the cat's meow for me. I demo'd Hustler, JD, Dixie Chopper, & Exmark, at first I didn't want to demo the Snapper because it was the least expensive and wasn't the best looking machine. Dealer finally convinced me to demo it on my second round, and after my second demo of each machine I went straight back to the dealer and loaded up the Snapper. It's been my main machine for 3 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. Very under-rated mower IMO and would add another to my business in a heart beat.

I did demo a used 61" Snapper Pro WB 2 years ago and that thing was a beast. Took me a couple swaths to get used to it but it did a fine job, just ended up I didn't need one that big.

Buck

3. Turf Terror

Turf Terror LawnSite Member

I just bought a used 2005 Snapper Pro Hydro 36" w/velky today.
    We mowed half of my 2 acre storage lot with it. The grass was a foot high and the thing did a nice job.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I think the mowers themselves are great as I have demoed them. I dont like how the speed control is somewhat fixed though. (this is on the d-loop handles)

On the floating deck machines, I think the height adjustment is a little funky. If the price was right, and it usually is, I would probably buy 1. Heck, dealer gave me a prie of $3100 for a 36" hydro floating deck w/ a 15hp kawasaki. You couldn't get some 36" belt drives for less then that.

If you get one, keep us posted!!

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a couple, overall nice machines. Do a search for my posts on them which I posted in 2001 - 2002.

If you buy one there is a way to lighten the controls considerably. Look for my post or ask me how.

6. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Just replaced 2 48 snapper hydros with exmark hydros. the snappers were in their 7th season, and second set of engines. They were fixed deck units, and they cut a boatload of grass over that time, with few repairs or breakdowns. I sold them to another lco for a decent price,(he knew I took care of them). They put down a nice cut, but they were getting a little "tired".

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have run two 36" hydro WB and the drive seems to rock solid no problems at all. The only funky thing about them is you have to be careful with the floating deck regarding which direction you turn to avoid scalping. I do the crank adjustment. The other thing is they are a little unsafe as they get wear on the latch that holds it in neutral. It can slip off and give you a thrill if you try hanging on instead of letting the kill switch take over. They gave us several good years but we like our 36" Scag Hydro a lot better, it is an all around tank of a machine...it is on its third engine and still going.

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, that safety latch design is HORRIBLE. You'd think a major company would have a safer safety LOL.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

a couple years ago maby 4 or 5 i was just learning to cut working for another lco and i took a snapper hydro off the trailer and ran it into the pick up truck and ill never forget that as being my first mowing expirience

10. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

my 'old' mower is a snapper. its belt driven so i cant say anything good about that. but what i can say is that it would cut beautiful and leave nice stripes. its a well built machine that has made a lot of money for me.