1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone cutting grass w/ 4 year college degree or more?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by northerncalibound, Jul 13, 2004.

1. northerncalibound

northerncalibound LawnSite Member

Just wonderin. It seems like a good thing to know that you can always fall back on.
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am currently in school for a 4 year Horticulture degree. I think that having an education is a good thing and will help me out greatly. It should set me apart from all of the other LCO's in my area who don't have them and may give me the advantage on some bids.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 4 year degree in Political Science with a minor in History as my first plan 20 years ago was to go to law school.
  4. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Undergraduate in Economics
    Masters in History.
  5. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I have a Ph.D. in molecular biology and my business partner is a West Point Grad. We started this business because we like maintaining and cultivating lawns and gardens and we wanted to business owners. We have to earn it just like anyone else, though, and we wouldn't expect anything less. It takes the hard work and dedication that many of us have put into this business that pays off not because of how fancy our trucks are or exactly what type of equipment you have. It takes a keen mind and a great work ethic to succeed and it really doesn't matter much how much education you have, just as long as you use what you have. I'll get off my soap box now. Thank you.
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

New name: Dr. QC Lawn Services, Ph.d:D
  7. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Thank you MMLawn. When we talk to customers, we tell them that we do this part-time and tell them a little background. Does it help? Maybe. It is the work and quality that speaks volumes about what kind of persons we are. We picked up a lawn just recently where the previous lco must have had his deck tipped because he almost scalped it on one side and the other was too high. It doesn't take a "Ph.D." to figure that out. It just takes pride in what you do and making the appropriate changes to correct it. I still work in my primary field as a research scientist, but I really enjoy working outdoors and providing a good service to my customers.
  8. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Mechanical Engineering Degree from IIT, and also a Bachelors of Arts in Engineering Science.

good to fall back on, yes.

I've learned a lot more in life than just to judge someone on how much school they went through though. I've met some of the stupidest college grads, and some of the smartest high school drop outs.

running a successful business is something I think you need something special to do, and for all you guys/girls that do so, my hats off to you all!
  9. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

Bachelors of Science, 15 hours of graduate work completed, planning on landscape design course and Plants I and Plants II to aid in business.
  10. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with QC. I tell people my background and it gives me more credibility. I have a degree from Arizona State in Business but studied Landscape Architecture my first 3 years and then swithced for the wrong reasons. That is why I do this part time, its what I love to do. People respect that.