Anyone cutting school lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dynamic, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

I just a received a tender for 11 schools today and I really do not know how to approach these tenders.
    There asking for :
    grass cutting to start when it reaches 4"
    then to continue once a week until July 1
    only cut the irrigated sports field in the summer(when instructed to)
    start cutting school yards again in September biweekly
    All I have is 2 cub cadet tank 60". The schools are a radius of 150 kilometers.
    No yard sizes given, I have to drive and see each one.
    What do you's think? I know its little information but thats all I have.
    Thanks in advance.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Honestly.. if that's all the equipment you have, throw the tender in the garbage and never look back.

It'll look tempting, but with 2 60" mowers, you'll never ever be caught up.

We do 5 schools, roughly 50 acres of grass. I say "we" meaning my 74 year old dad and I, I being 35.

My dad rides around in my Kubota tractor, with airconditioning, pulling a 15' tri-deck mower. I run a 72" Kubota ZD 331 and do all the trimming, unless I use a turf regulator to control the growth along the fencing.

It takes us about 30 hours / week, and we're cutting 220" +/- of grass at a time (15' x 12" + 72"). You've got twice the schools, which I realize doesn't mean twice the turf area, plus you're using 1/2 the cutting width.

Also, what's the deal with not mowing for skipping 2 months of cutting??? And then a biweekly?? And only cutting the sports stuff when instructed to??

We cut all the sports fields 3 times / week all year. The other stuff is once / week all year, unless it's dry, then we skip it, but it's our choice.

The guy that first got this bid was doing it with 2 60" zero turns and could never get it all done in a week, even went 4-5 weeks inbetween trimming.

We trim every other week.

Anyways, I would look at those "demands" and just throw the paper in the garbage. If you had to go out and buy the equipment (more trucks, trailers and insurance as well) and then only mow about 1/3 of the year, then forget it.

3. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Schools are usually are on a LOW budget for the year for lawn maintenance they most always pick the lowest bid..:nono:

4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bid one just the other day that I know I won't get.

5. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Don't walk away from this tender. .

RUN

We are working for the Waterloo Region District School Board using a 72" and a 54" for trimming. Your schedule sounds like the school board's old employee schedule who got the July & August vacation of 9 weeks. Projections of that tender specifications only give you 12 cuts and 8 and three quarters of those crammed into the busiest 2 months of the season. Our board gives us 18 cuts to schedule as we see fit. You'll have a tough time scheduling such an uneven work load and make money at it.

This is a bad tender

6. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

Yea I cut school to do lawns..

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We're bidding on a school this year K-12, about 85 acres of turf.

I could not believe when they told me they wouldn't want us to start until May 1.

Apparently, the school budget year runs May 1- May 1. So last years LCO has to mow the first 4 cuts this year, and I have to keep the 5 guys busy for one day a week until May 1.