Anyone Demo the Turfco XT5 ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LBZFAN, Nov 19, 2010.

1. LBZFAN

LBZFAN LawnSite Member
    from MN

Just wondering if i can get an objective opinion of the new Turfco XT5 aerator. Did anyone get to demo it this fall? What did you like about it? Dislikes? Is it better than the TurnAer 4 or TurnAer 6 ? Would like to hear from someone other than the turfco guys on this. Thanks!

2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I demoed them at GIE. I relay went to demo the new aerators but did try the Turnaer 6 just to try it.

I liked the XT5 it was easy to turn and maneuver the top comes off in the back to clean and replace tines.A relay nice option ! reverse makes it nice to.

To me the bad part is letting down the machine to operate the tines it's a little hard to say the least. And as you have read already when in trans port mode only one wheel drives so you have to push some.

If you have any other questions be free to ask.

Charles Cue

3. LBZFAN

LBZFAN LawnSite Member
    from MN

thanks charles, anyone looking to upgrade to this machine? what is specifically better than the other TurnAer machines? Pull plugs ok?

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have the LS walk behind that is a hydro like turfo's new aerator. I think the biggest benefit is that you can aerate in reverse. this is very helpful in tight trim areas.

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

This is about a close as I can get for now. On U tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89q6-v2JfLE

6. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

The problem I see with this machine is the raise/lower bar...knees get banged up pretty easily if your not carefull, just like the ryan's.

I have the 1st generation LS walkbehind. I like the fact it has the small lever handle to raise and lower the tines...no bar to bang your knees.

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

The bar is located well forward so it is difficult to get knees into it. It also serves as a push back bar in the operator slips on wet grass to keep him out of the machine. No one todate has complained about knocking knees.

8. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

I stand by my original comment.

Looking at that video, the guy using the aerator came within a hair of hitting his shin/knees both forward and reverse. If you slip...oh well.

A smaller bar/handle would eliminate that potential problem. JMO

9. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think Bob would know

10. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I operated this machine at GIE went back about 4 times ran it quite a bit and never hit my knees. It's a nice machine

Charles Cue