anyone did this before

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronnie Greenwood, Mar 20, 2003.

?

What could my response be

1. 25 or more

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. 50 or more

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. 75 or more

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. ronnie Greenwood

ronnie Greenwood LawnSite Member
    from Il

:dizzy: Ever since I was a little kid I did yard work for extra cash now I am 20 years old so I thought what the hell get some good equiptment and go at it full time I had 12,000 atractive fliers made up then had them inserted in to our newspaper I also ran a ad in the buisnes directory what should I expect.

2. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I screwed up. I saw 12000 flyers and thought of door to door flyers and checked over 75 then realized it said newspaper. With my experiance with the newspaper I wouldn't expect much bang for your buck. I've ran profesionaly designed 5x5 add for a week and didn't get a single call out of 60,000 daily subscribers plus sunday sales which I can't remember off hand. Worst investment I ever made.

3. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I inserted 3000 fliers into my local newspaper last fall for cleanups. I ended up with more responses than I could handle. I am doing the same this week for spring cleanups. I think it all depends on your area your targeting, how much competition you have, and your reputation. Good luck

Adam

4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

newspaper iss too expensive for me-I use the yellow pages.
    Newspapers will get you calls from parts of town you might not want to frequent, esp. after dark. When people want something done, they usually hit the pfone book. I do. Not everyone gets the paper. Not everyone listens to the radio, esp. right at the time your ad may be on. But EVERYONE has a phone book!
    Next best sugggestion would be DEMOGRAPHICS. Target the areas you would like to be in, then pass out flyers in those specific areas. Do your homework, & BTW expect 1-3% avg. response for flyers, & plan accordingly. Good luck

5. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

INSERTED in the paper. That means a free standing ad that the paperboy wraps WITH the paper. Not an ad IN the paper itself. They are targeted to the areas you want.

6. ronnie Greenwood

ronnie Greenwood LawnSite Member
    from Il

No the newspaper inserts them into the paper and you can choose the area that you want it to go to I was just wondering how many of you tried this and what was the results:blob4:

7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I recently posted very involved numbers on this subject in the "elements of business forum" no time to search now, but if you find it, you will find your answer.

8. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

it all depends where you live and how much of a tightwad they are. my area for example,most people here are out to get the cheepest rate possable but exspect the work to be like they we're paying millions on there lawn. No joke. I've put out flyers and went door to door in the late winter-early spring months and would get 5 or 6 contracts per day(still wondering if all that work was really worth it). don't sell yourself short. I've had people complain about my prices, but I tell them that they hired a professional company,and we strive to do the best. I'f your morals are good(and I'm not judging them or anything), and you've got a good name around the communities you serve, I'm sure you'd do well from word of advertisment alone. heck, I'f i was looking for a plummer to replace some of the pipes in my house, i wouldn't look through the phone book. who knows what some of the companys in there are really like. I'd ask my friends and see what they haft to say. In short it's best to get a reference from someone you know that judge a book by it's cover.

hope this helps,

Richard Coffman/Owner
    Special Touch Land Care:p

9. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a SEPERATE page to insert and if you went to the paper delivery distribution places, the people that roll the papers up for delivery do the insertion. If you're talking about an ad on newsprint, my mistake.