1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone dislike Stihl's Easy2Start feature?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by whitenack, Apr 12, 2010.

1. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

Looking for a new string trimmer. Leaning toward Stihl.

I am an able-bodied male in my early 30's. Pull starting trimmers and lawnmowers are usually not a problem, so I am not really that swayed by an easier start. However, the trimmer I am considering (FS 56 C-E) has a Easy2Start feature.

Normally, I wouldn't think much about it because, while it isn't a problem, easier is easier, right? However, I read in the manual that the Easy2Start feature requires a slow, steady pull instead of a quick pull.

I wonder if that becomes a problem when you are wanting to "start on the fly". For instance, you have been working already and had to shut it off for a second, and now are ready to start it again. You are already strapped in and just want to reach back, give it a quick jerk and get going. Wouldn't a slow pull work against you, since you are just holding it in midair?

Or am I overthinking this?
  2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you're over thinking this.
    I haven't had any issues starting my normal Stihl trimmers, and don't own an ez2start, but I've played with one in a showroom.
    When you pull the string, it winds a spring. At the end of the pull, the spring is unleashed, and that spins the engine a little faster than you can with just your arm. I guess you could damage it by giving it a normal forceful pull, but you wouldn't do that since you're not fighting the engine compression during the pull. It feels quite different.
  3. whitenack

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's my worry. I am worried that my natural reaction will be to give it a quick yank and tear something up.
  4. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk LawnSite Member

Sounds like you'll get used to it pretty quickly.
  5. rlitman

I don't think its fragile. I'm just happy with how my Stihl equipment starts.
    They say not to give a regular rope starter too quick a pull either, or the rope can break if you regularly pull it to the end.

You should go to the dealer and give it a spin. Most dealers will be happy to demonstrate a Stihl product, and they've probably got one gassed up and ready to test drive.
    You may find you really like it. I don't dislike it, its just not worth it to me.
  6. whitenack

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I need to call around and see if they have one gassed up.

I don't feel the need to have an easy2start either. The only reason I am thinking about one is the particular model I am looking at only comes with that feature. I am looking for a residential straight shaft string trimmer with bicycle handle bars in stihl brand. Therefore, my cheapest option is the FS 56 CE ($279) or I could pay an extra $50 for the FS 90. I'd like to save the $50, but not if the starting mechanism is going to be a problem.
  7. Decoste76

Decoste76 LawnSite Member
    from MASS

have all stihl equipment and my father just purchased one of the new easy start chainsaw and the thing sucked to start actually broke the puller and had was going to have it replaced with the normal one wouldnt get it in my opinion go with the normal start its just as easy
  8. rlitman

From what I see the 90 is a big step up. That puts you into the "pro" level of equipment, and the 90 is a 4-mix engine.
    I wish you were local. I'd sell you a hardly used FS110 for way less.

Any reason you want the bicycle handle? I know its better for brush cutting, but the consensus here seems to be that it gets annoying for normal trimming.
  9. whitenack

I just assumed it would be more comfortable over prolonged use.
  10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Have you looked at the KM90? Its around the same HP and you can add attachments to the power head.