Anyone do door-to-door sales?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Kortas, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Kortas

Kortas LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

I am considering doing some door to door sales for new residential maintenance accounts on Saturdays. I figure Saturday is better than Sunday for all those church goers. And I don't run the crews on Saturday, my partner does, so I'm responsible for getting new business.

Has anyone done door-to-door sales to get new clients before? If so, I would really love your feedback.

1) How many clients do you expect to get when going door-to-door for 4 hours? (1 per hour, or 1 per day?)

2) Do you think there is time better spent marketing?

3) I am considering hiring a salesman to do this also, has anyone tried that before?

I searched the forum for these answers but didn't find what I was looking for. Hopefully some of you fine folks can help me.

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

I would. Go see if you can get more accounts. All they can say is no. Then move on don't try to talk them into it. They just get mad. Leave your phone number in case they want to get back with you

3. Kortas

Kortas LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Yeah.. I have business cards with weekly, by-weekly and monthly quotes already on the back, I just need to fill in the spaces. I'm thinking I prepare those before going for a neighborhood and leave them with the quote in hand. No pressure (although I've done those sales).

Thanks for the encouragement.

4. Perfect Lawnscapes Inc.

Perfect Lawnscapes Inc. LawnSite Member

Door to door is the absolute best way to get new clients. Make sure at your city clerks office that you don't need a permit to sell. Only $10 a year in my town. They have to make sure you are not trying to rip off the good citizens, all it takes is one crotchety old man or woman to report you and well, here the fine is $500.....ouch! Print up some fliers (in color) and leave them on the doors of the people who don't answer, or aern't home. List your most important services, and leave prices for all of them. Remember FREE estimates. Don't spend any more than 20-30 minutes with a prespective customer, if you don't feel the sale coming, or if the person seems to be b.s'n it is wasting "your time". Also always assume the sale!!! Once you have told them about your sevices, say somthing like "We'll be starting in march...so we'll see you then?" works well for me.

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I might have to give this a try!

6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

It is funny how people have different views concerning this. If you are a good sales person, you can probably get some business by going door-to-door. But, that just is not my cup of tea. I hate when anyone comes to my door unannounced. I would never do business with anyone that comes to me that I don't know. I probably will not even go to the door. If I do, I don't give them a chance to give me a pitch. I tell them not interested, thank you!
    But if you have that type A personality, and you go to enough houses and have a brochure or a flyer (professional looking) you will probably get some business. Not much, but just one good account would probably make it worth your time.
    Maybe have a special offer if the customer will sign up for service today or within the week.
    I also would be interested in hearing from others who have hired a sales person. How did it work out?

7. Kortas

Kortas LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

I have business cards that have a section for quotes on the back. I was thinking of just preparing a bunch of cards in order of the route I decide to walk when doing this and leaving a card with an accurate price on it if nobody answers.

I price based on the lot size so it's easy for me to pull up zillow.com and get the lot size on each house in a neighborhood to prepare these. My thought is that a little extra time doing this will get me a better response.

I assume you do door-to-door sales already Perfect Landscapes.... Based on that assumption, could you tell me a little more about what to expect.

For example, out of 100 homes I knock-on, how many sales would you expect to get? I know it's hypothetical based on ones sales ability and services offered, but I just wanted to have an idea. Keeping in mind i'm bidding for residential maintenance here.

8. Perfect Lawnscapes Inc.

Perfect Lawnscapes Inc. LawnSite Member

5%-15% in the right neighborhoods. Don't go to the new neighborhoods, chances are some of the people living there wont be there in the coming months(mortgages). Go to established (big,old trees) neighborhoods, thats where the baby-boomers are.

9. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

"5%-15% in the right neighborhoods. Don't go to the new neighborhoods, chances are some of the people living there wont be there in the coming months(mortgages). Go to established (big,old trees) neighborhoods, thats where the baby-boomers are."

heard that!

10. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

I have been in sales for 27 years, 10 in the insurance industry. I was trained on pure door to door. It is hard to do for most people, it's not really hard work, tiring when walking all those streets, but mentally tough. But, you will never find a better way to get business, if you can talk to people. If your not able to carry on an intelligent, business like conversation, save your time. You need to look like, walk like, act like and talk like a real business person who has something to offer these people. Otherwise they smell it in you and boot you to the curb. It's all about numbers too, most people fail because they will walk one street and not find anyone home or get booted the first time and give up. Thats' the nature of the game.

Get door hangers made up, hang them on every door. I have a salesman/spray tech that this is his sole purpose. Hang door hangers, get new accounts signed up, spray them then turn them over to a servicing technician.

As far as new neighborhoods, my favorite. They haven't been hit by as many salesmen yet and are still looking for someone to do what they need. But, we hit every street, every neighborhood. As always, your results may vary, its not the process that works or doesn't its how you work the process.

Good luck to you, and give it a try!